PDA

View Full Version : Green Milkweed Locusts

Gabriela Plesea
05-30-2013, 03:24 PM
I am certainly no expert in Macro photography but when the opportunity comes along I try and give it my best...Came upon those Green Milkweed Locusts recently during a trip in the Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve. They did not seem to mind my presence so I took a few images...This is just one of them, I would appreciate any critique/suggestions, be it of technical nature or otherwise.

Nikon D3S
Nikon 105mm F2.8
1/1200s
F11
ISO 1000

Kind regards,

Mitch Haimov
05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Very cool subjects! You did a great job with the DoF. The wash of color BG works very well, tho I think it would be even better if you darken down the brightest areas upper center and upper left a bit as they do draw my eyes. Would not have been nearly as successful an image w/o the eye-level PoV. Did you crop to this composition? It's a little tight for my taste, particularly since there is more free space behind the subjects than any of the other three sides. I think bottom--and probably top too--should have as much as back currently does, and front should have 1.5 to 2 times that. Could trim 1/4 to 1/3 from behind. But that's just my opinion. Anyway, excellent work!

Gabriela Plesea
05-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Hello Mitch, and thank you for your comments! I agree with you, there is not enough space around the subjects, I am thinking of adding canvas (unfortunately no crop at all, full frame...I was lying on my stomach shooting them and they started walking towards me...Well, only one was walking towards me, the other got a ride:S3: . They kept changing direction so at some point I ended up with this view from the side. I have some pretty cool shots of them from the front, but not sure how to process them yet, still pondering over those...)

Kind regards,

Mitch Haimov
05-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Fortunately, adding canvas to this image should be relatively easy. I'd love to see one from the front!

Diane Miller
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Nice! But looks like there was some cloning of BG detail on the left, in front of the locusts. I'd revisit that. Otherwise, a great catch and sharp detail and great colors.

Steve Maxson
05-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Gabriella and welcome to the Macro forum! This is a very nice behavioral image. Love the ground level shooting angle! Good sharpness and you handled the bright light quite well (you might try to open up the shadows a bit more). I agree that the subjects would benefit from a little more room in the frame - and you also could have posted this at a larger size (now up to 1,200 pixels on the long side). :S3: This is a strong image and I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

PhilCook
06-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Agree with above comments....but overall your focus and exposure is very good, some wonderful fine detail showing through and i do like the in harmony color toned backdrop...nicely done

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Wow this is good, great detail and excellent lighting, love the composition but if anything I would not have cropped quite so tightly. The quality is exceptional so I would have gone for 1024/1200px image. The low angle is an ideal viewpoint and to capture them mating makes the image even stronger. I hope you will be posting more macro!

Gabriela Plesea
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind comments, and special thanks to you Jonathan for encouraging and enthusiastic reply-I shall do my best and post some more...I guess I should have added some canvas-this image was taken very close and there was nothing to crop, I am afraid...

Wishing you all a great week ahead,

Bob Miller
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Gabrielle....Strong image with wonderful detail > If you add some canvas to the front and the bottom I think it would benefit greatly!