PDA

View Full Version : Canon Service - Cleaning

Barry Ekstrand
05-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I have a Canon G11 that has some dust on the inside of the lens that I'd like to get cleaned. I tried taking it to a local independent camera repair shop but they don't do the point and shoots. When I go to the Canon site all I find is a $200 'out of warranty' repair charge that doesn't even have you list what you are trying to fix or get done.

Is there a "simple" Canon cleaning service (or anywhere else that is recommended) available for less than the $200 charge I saw or am I stuck with the dust inside the lens? I use this camera in an underwater case for diving and would like to get it cleaned without paying that much. Any help will be appreciated.

Barry

David Stephens
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
It's unlikely, but possible, that the dust is having any visual impact on your images. Are you able to see any distortion. Dust on the sensor is much more likely to be an issue than dust in the lens.

Barry Ekstrand
05-30-2013, 07:52 AM
David, thanks for the reply. I am getting some impact to the image - dust really isn't the right description for what I am dealing with. I have what looks like a grain of sand on the inside of the lens. I used this G11 to photograph an industrial process that uses sand about a year and a half ago and I believe this is where the source was. The sand was blowing around in the process aggressively - I am guessing grain(s) got in between the telescoping lens and the body and one has worked its way to the point that it is now inside the lens.

I think all this camera needs is to be opened up, blown out, and the inside of he lens cleaned. It doesn't sound like much but I may be naive about how much effort that is. So far I haven't found anyone that wants to do it.

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who can take this on for a reasonable cost it will be much appreciated.

Barry