PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Family

Robert Kimbrell
05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
This is a very special image for me, I am fortunate enough to have an active rookery near my house. Although it is well known by the locals, no one pays much attention to it, except me. I suspect I am the only bird obsessed photographer that visits it on a regular basis. This is where I captured my first spoonbill photo with a D-50 and a kit lens many years ago. The island houses Storks, Great and Snowy Egrets, Pelicans and Herons, but never any Spoons, only an occasional passerby. I have rescued many birds, mostly from fishing line over the years, In a sense I feel like it’s my <st1:place w:st="on">Island</st1:place>.
It has been obvious this year that there were a few Roseate Spoonbills in the area. I was not sure if they were nesting or using it as a fishing ground.
This morning I was out practicing with a Better Beamer. I was shooting with side lighting as I was trying to stay out of the chop/wind. Mom Flew out from hiding and gave me a brief introduction to her family. That was a real treat for me on Memorial Day.
The photo is full frame. My preset settings would have been added in Nikon capture. No other processing was done. I have about five more but would like feedback, on exposure, color, etc.before I process the others. I tried lightening the b/g but did not like the effect.
I realize dark mangroves don’t make an ideal background, and I am not going to cry over the clipped leg as I had a fixed lens and was on a boat. Thanks for any suggestions and thank you Vets.

D-700 500f4
f/10 @ 1/1250
Iso 640
flash 1/32

Satish Ranadive
05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Beautiful image of happy family in the nice environment ,showing beautiful colors and poses.
Image needs little boost of contrast. Still superb image. Love the happy family, especially the wing position and colors of mom.

Regards,
Satish.

gail bisson
05-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi Robert,
I always hesitate to comment on images that the poster states he/she is very attached to. I always feel like the bad guy if I critique it.
For me, this is one of these "almost "pictures.
The main problem for me is the partially obscured head of the flegdling on the left and the cut-off feet of the juvie on the right.
The IQ just doesn't seem to be there especially on the left sided juvies.
I would use this shot as inspiration and motivation to go out there again and nail the perfect shot,
Gail

Diane Miller
05-28-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm on a laptop, but the contrast looks good to me. If it's increased the juveniles will be even more washed-out and the dark trees even darker. I'd have a look at lightening the BG but just little (I like the drama in it) and bringing up a little more detail in the juveniles.

This is a great opportunity -- hope she gives you some more chances for portraits!

Jeannean Ryman
05-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Congrats on getting to meet the family Robert! Hope you get more opportunities. As for processing, I think some adjustments will help the overall look. Might start with an increase in exposure. Looks a tad under-exposed to me.

Steven Grogger
05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Robert,
They’re beautiful and congratulations on catching the whole family together! It looks like Mom is giving a lesson in how to fly as you captured them all with their wings up. I think they stand out well with the dark BG. I could only wish I had Roseate Spoonbills in my back yard.
Steve

Marina Scarr
05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Lucky you to have this rookery so close by. I think you did a good job considering the circumstances. This image tells a great story. It's nice to see the momma with the babies and all of their environment included. Agree the IQ on the left babies doesn't look super but the story trumps.