PDA

View Full Version : Three Fat Chicks

Loi Nguyen
05-27-2013, 04:46 PM
After spending two days with this family of Burrowing Owl, I was treated with seeing the little ones today. They came out of the burrow about 8AM, the light wasn't bad, but was no longer the warm golden light of early morning.

1DX
500f4 II + 1.4X III
1/1000
f16
ISO-1000
BLUBB Bean Bag from car window.
+1/3 EV Evaluative Metering as frame
Manual Mode

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Loi

Jeannean Ryman
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Loi, not sure if you took this as a vertical shot originally, but if you can, I would crop this a lot tighter. For me, there's a little too much space, especially at the top of the frame. I would try and crop out the deep shadows up in that area, as they are competing strongly with the cute owls for my eye. I've never seen a Burrowing owl in the wild, and here you have a whole family! Lucky you. :S3:

Loi Nguyen
05-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Loi, not sure if you took this as a vertical shot originally, but if you can, I would crop this a lot tighter. For me, there's a little too much space, especially at the top of the frame. I would try and crop out the deep shadows up in that area, as they are competing strongly with the cute owls for my eye. I've never seen a Burrowing owl in the wild, and here you have a whole family! Lucky you. :S3:

Yes, Jeannean, I took this originally as a vertical. The deep shadow covers their entrance. I had trouble with this image as the colors are very monotone, but this is the habitat. The little ones don't venture far and I had to shoot with side lighting. Will spend sometime working this image and repost later. Thank you. Loi

JustinSchnee
05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
very nice capture, as said above i would crop in a little tighter, and possibably enhance contrast between the eyes and background.

Loi Nguyen
05-28-2013, 02:25 PM
I think the Original Post has an Orange cast. So I changed the WB to Day Light from Auto, cropped tighter, and raised the shadow of the entrance. Hope you like it better. As I mentioned previously, the only shooting angle was side lighting and the sun was a bit bright.

JustinSchnee
05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
i prefer the colors of the original. it may be just me tho

Jeannean Ryman
05-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I really like this crop a lot, but the original colors were more to my liking as well. Colors in the repost look washed out. Keep this crop and the original colors. :S3:

Bob Miller
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Loi....I prefer your original post with a tighter crop. Your repost looks a bit flat for my tastes. I would consider cropping even tighter than your repost. Also you might consider adding a vignette to draw attention into your subject!

Loi Nguyen
05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Agreed that the RP colors look wash out. Here is the original but with tight crop. Thank you for your feedback. Loi

Clyde Hopper
05-29-2013, 07:48 PM
This last one works extremely well ,(Personal opinion ) on this photo I like the side lighting . It gives the story a bit of more detail.