PDA

View Full Version : Bull and his Shadow

Rachel Hollander
05-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Another of a large Cape Buffalo bull. I liked the shadow but it was difficult figuring out where to place the left edge (this is a slight crop). Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa in August 2012.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 182mm
1/1600
f7.1
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Canuel
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Rachel,
Tough choice on the crop, maybe bring the left edge into just behind the fold of skin? Excellent clarity. This one has a "gritty" look to it, which I like, and think it fits this subject well.

hirandesilva
05-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi Rachel, The light has been harsh and you've managed it well. Clear details are visible in the buffalo. Protruding tongue and distance gaze in his eyes show the harsh conditions they live in.

Hiran

Brendon Cremer
05-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Rachel, i like how you wanted to include the shadow of the buffalo, however i am not a fan of half body shots, just a personal preference more than anything else. The details look great perhaps a little crunchy tho, the buff seem a little light as well perhaps a slight mid tone adjustment would help. Otherwise you handled what looks like to be some fairly harsh light well.

Arno Ellmer
06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Rachel , looks like one of the ' dagga boys ' ( older evicted bulls ) . Yes ,crop and comp is difficult. Could also try a head crop ,without the shadow ?