PDA

View Full Version : Columbine

Bob Miller
05-26-2013, 07:18 PM
I took this in my backyard a few weeks ago. The wind was bouncing these beauties around on a cloudy day so I waited and waited...finally i think I may have gotten the shot
Nikon D3s
1/125 sec at f5.6
ISO 800
105 mm macro

Mitch Haimov
05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I like your composition with the stem entering the frame near (but not through) the corner. Sweet BG. Nice sharpness on the stamens (and pistils). Enough DoF to cover the petals would be ideal (w/o bringing up the BG), but doesn't sound like it was feasible under those conditions.

Allen Sparks
05-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi Bob, really nice specimen. Mitch pretty much nailed my critique. A pleasing image. TFS.... -- Allen

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2013, 05:34 AM
I like the simplicity of the shot, for me the colours are too saturated and I think a greater DOF would have enhanced the image greatly. The petals on the main flower head would have looked better if there was more DOF, certainly worth having another go, I must check out my garden for similar images!

Bob Miller
05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone!

Steve Maxson
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Bob. These are beautiful little flowers and are fun to work with - though, as you note, they are susceptible to the slightest breeze. I like the comp and the soft light. Good sharpness within your DOF and you did a nice job with the yellows which tend to blow out very easily with these flowers. I agree that more DOF would improve the image and I'm wondering if it would have been possible to shift your shooting position to get both the flower and bud within the plane of focus? I would be tempted to remove the bit of spider web from the left side of the flower as it is not quite in focus. Still, a very nice image overall!

Neil Nourse
06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Do wish you had been able to get all the pedals within the DOF but sounds like conditions wouldn't permit it.
TFS Neil

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi Bob, perhaps my favorite of all wild flowers...beautifully composed...I agree on the DOF. I carry in my backpack a few wooded shish kabob skewers and a couple of twist ties that I can use to help stabilize such delicate flowers under such conditions. Just stick a skewer in the ground and gently twist tie the stem to the skewer. Sometimes I find it gives that extra bit a stability needed.