PDA

View Full Version : Tree Frog

Gary Esman
05-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Hello, found this guy on our house when I was power washing it. Relocated him where he was safe and snapped a few shots. I liked the pose here. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think. Thanks, Gary 5D Miii, 70/200 at 80, f/16, iso:3200, flash, extension tube, HH, crop.

Norm Dulak
05-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi Gary.

I like this kind of frog and appreciate your sending this image to us. Given your DOF, the eye of the frog is sharp although some of the extremities are not. That's OK with me. The problem for me is the background.

I find the extreme range of brightness in the background, from the very bright region near the top to the extreme darkness below the frog, to be somewhat disconcerting. I think that this image might have been better if you had placed your subject against a more homogeneous background. But I really like the frog, and what you have attempted to do here. :S3:

Randy Stout
05-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Gary:

Nice to see the 5DIII strutting its high ISO performance. Very nice.

A very cool frog for sure, glad you saw him and moved him to safety.

I do appreciate Norm's point, and did a little tweak Ran a luminosity layer on image, 70% multiply layer, and a ND filter on upper 1/4 of image.

I love the grip he is showing on the leaf edge, and the sense of texture in his skin.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers

Randy

Mitch Haimov
05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
My first thought when I saw this image: Cool frog!
My second thought: Wow, the upper leaf and far side of the frog are way to bright! I'll suggest bringing them down.

Norm and Randy got there first. Randy's repost works well. I'm much better able to focus on the subject in that version. The pebbly skin texture adds a lot of interest. An eye-level POV rather than form above would be a good alternative, tho this composition works well.

Gary Esman
05-27-2013, 05:37 AM
Thanks all for the comments. Thanks Randy the repost looks awesome. Mitch, I have some more at eye level but in this shot he moved and his weight carried him down the leaf, I wanted to get a shot of this pose before he moved again. Thanks again. Gary.

Allen Sparks
05-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Gary, nice catch of an interesting pose. Sharp where it should be. The repost brings it up a notch. TFS.... -- Allen

Steve Maxson
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Gary. I really like these tree frogs - they are very photogenic and turn up in all sorts of interesting places. At ISO 3200, you're really getting up there, but the noise is only apparent in the shadowed portions of the leaves - impressive. The frog gave you a good pose and I like what Randy did to the vegetation in the repost - though I think I prefer the look of the frog itself in your original. You might still try a little more selective nr in the dark areas in the bottom portion of the frame. I hope to see more of these. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Gary you have a great little frog there, my suggestion would be to try to get him on a more uniform background, I do like his little foot grasping the edge of the leaf, having him on the edge as opposed to slap bang in the middle of a leaf is a good idea.

Andrew McLachlan
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Gary, I like this image and the frog's pose. These are my most favorite of all frogs to photograph. What you have here is a Gray Treefrog. I have only really seen them with the gray coloring once or twice, often I find them in brilliant greens or shades of black. I am going to guess you have a light colored house as they tend to take on the coloration of their surroundings. I agree with the previous critiques...can't wait to see more of your images of this frog.