PDA

View Full Version : Austfonna

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Austfonna is an ice cap located in the Noraustandet in Svalbard covering an area of over 8000 km2. It has a thickness of 560m and the ice dome reaches an elevation of 783m above sea level. Taken early in the morning as the sun began to rise.

The web is a wonderful tool. :bg3:

Sorry Rachel, just wetting your appetite, although I am not sure if you will get to see this? Would look to taking your filters, but forget about a tripod set-up, as the vibration of the ship will transfer through, even when stationary.

Steve
Subject: Austfonna ice cap, Svalbard
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/9 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks Steve, gorgeous light on this one and good choice to go a little tighter here. I might crop a sliver from the bottom to remove the murkier area in the fg.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi Steve, love the detail on the ice cliff and the lighting too. I have heard of folks making foam feet for their tripods to overcome the vibrations of the ships...but I have never had the opportunity to shoot from a ship before so unsure if it is really helpful or not...

Steve Kaluski
05-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Cheers Rachel, yep a sliver could come off.

Interesting Andrew, be good if they had a screw thread so you can attach them easily.

Don Railton
05-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Hi Steve. Love the light...! I agree tighter would be better but I would rather take it off the top.. I like the gold water but the sky right down to the top of the ice could go IMHO... DON

Anette Mossbacher
06-04-2013, 02:32 PM
The light is just wonderful with all around. Love the light on the water and ice. I agree with a bit tighter crop. :bg3: