PDA

View Full Version : Playful cub

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2013, 04:34 AM
This is the male Spring cub who we spent some time that afternoon, as Mum (Mom) was teaching both his sister & he the finer points of fishing, well she tried too. Mum had just landed a salmon and after play fighting with his sister, however I guess the thought of a free meal was too good to pass up and chased over to her. Light was again bright & harsh and in Alaska you can get all four seasons rolled in one afternoon!

With hindsight a landscape format would have been better, allowing more room to run into, plus I could easily have afforded more DOF, but wanted to freeze things too.

Steve
Subject: Grizzly Spring cub (Ursus arctos horribilis)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 300f/2.8 with 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/4000s at f/4 ISO40 0 stop compensation

Loi Nguyen
05-25-2013, 08:41 AM
What a cutie! Tack sharp and you got his eye well lit with a catch light. Perfect exposure as usual. Agreed that a more DOF would be better as the OOF foreground is a little bit distracting. Well done!

Rachel Hollander
05-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Steve - definitely a cute factor and excellent techs and images. I agree with your self assessment about more room for the cub to run into. When I saw it I thought maybe you had purposely shot portrait with room above for title. TFS, Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Loi & Rachel, thanks.

Being quite honest it's not that great a shot and I feel the IQ could have been handled better, but this is with hindsight and we learn from it too. Just wanted to bring some diversity. :S3:

Steve :wave:

Rachel Hollander
05-25-2013, 09:01 AM
I meant details above, it still has your usual excellent details.

Marina Scarr
05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
What an utter cutie-pie, Steve, and you did a great job capturing that cuteness. My first thoughts were horizontal format, and I see that you wished for the same. That said, it's quite a special frame full of colors, details, environment and the cuteness already mentioned.

Shreyas Mantri
05-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Any photo of a Grizzly is a good photo - and this one is of a spring cub...just sweet!
My vote for a landscape frame, and you've made the harsh light look pleasing. I do hope you have more of these cubs to share!

TFS

hirandesilva
05-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi Steve, You been able to freeze the action but still show that the bear was moving. This is great as the it is Sharp which is not easy. Would have preferred more room in front of the cub. Picture has been taken with good camera skill.

Hiran

vishaljadhav
05-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Cute looking fellow, sharpness looks nice,
Things i love is those focused eyes and the raised front feet makes it for me.

Brendon Cremer
05-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Hi Steve i agree with you not the most fantastic shot but still nice. The water droplets on the fur add very nicely and the action with both front paws off the ground is very nice too. Portrait style is not really working for me perhaps as you have mentioned more space to move into would have been better, and slightly more dof would have helped indeed as you can dee it falling off towards the rump of the bear, however the colours and exposure are well handled.

Jamie Douglas
05-29-2013, 01:07 AM
A fine example of the combination of sharpness from the 300mm combined with your sharpening skills Steve.

TFS

Jamie

Steve Canuel
05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi Steve,
He does look to be having a good time. I like the brightness of the pic, reminds me of time spent in the woods on clear, sunny days, and the colors of the surroundings.

edwardselfe
06-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I like this - really engaging image. I think that the portrait composition works but for the fact that his shadow is cut off behind. Landscape would have included that of course, but otherwise, I like the composition.