PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Woodpecker and a better BG

Diane Miller
05-24-2013, 11:47 PM
My recent post of a Lesser Goldfinch didn't have a great BG, to me. It was "creamy" (sort of) but the whole image was just not interesting. I think it would be better with the suggested wider crop. I find the image boring, but I think it isn't because of the BG. I usually love creamy BGs.

I shot this woodpecker with about the same specs but he/she/it was farther from the camera so the BG shows more detail because the focus is a little closer to it. (Not much -- about 7-8 ft for the finch and 16 ft for the woodpecker.) Also f/16 vs. f/13 for the finch -- that contributed some of the difference. Just curious how this BG would compare to a creamy one, for folks. But I think it depends so much on the image, as well as individual preference.

Canon 5D II, 300mm f/2.8 IS + 1.4X II. Sturdy Gitzo tripod, Wimberley head. ISO 1600, f/16. 1/200 sec (limited by sync speed of fill flash.)

Shot as a horizontal; cropped in from the sides and a little canvas added at the top and a slight trim from the bottom.

Jim Thomas
05-25-2013, 03:53 AM
I love this background! Just looks a bit noisy. Great perch too. Flash seems a bit too much so a bit over exposed?

Jim

Satish Ranadive
05-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Diane:
Magnificent image of wood pecker you have captured. I like the pose,nice colors,background and very nice perch. Love the frame.
BTW, since the perch and BG are so nice that you can play around different composition.I have quickly composed one,Please let me know whether you like it or not.I hope you will like it.

Regards,
Satish.

Diane Miller
05-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Satish,

A nice idea! (And a good job!) I like it. I have a growing collection of sticks on the deck (and lots more scattered about our semi-rural property) so could try to find one similar. I do like the strong diagonal.

I cut sticks on a table saw to get a smooth cut and glue them to a piece of 1x6 and clamp it to the deck railing, or for smaller birds that I want closer, set it up on a table weighted by a brick.

After doing this for a few months, the whole area now needs to be pressure washed.

The woodpeckers are always around looking for a free meal, so make good subjects and are quite humorous to watch. They seem to be afraid of the smaller birds.

Diane Miller
05-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Jim, the histogram of the raw exposure with the default LR settings is actually slightly UE. The sun was about 45 degrees behind the bird so flash is almost the main light here. I should probably set up a diffuser and second fill light for this time of day.

Have been having fits with the a new MicroSync transmitter to fire remote flash, and it finally died. (It was a replacement for an older one that died.) Off for repair.

Marina Scarr
05-25-2013, 10:41 AM
What a stunning WP, Diane. I would love to have the chance to see and photograph one of these one day. You have a terrific BG but I am seeing quite a bit of noise which can be easily remedied. Love your perch, both the original and the one Satish created. Your bird is looking slightly over flashed to my eyes.

The original comp isn't working for me. I would rather see the bird a little smaller in the frame and make it more of a vertical with more room on top. I find Satish's comp quite pleasing.

Steve Canuel
05-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I like the dappled colors of the BG, hints at sunlit leaves blowing in the wind. I also like the curved branch of the OP and would keep it vertical with a tighter crop from both sides (just outside the knots on the small part curving up). Flash seems a touch strong to my eye.

Jeannean Ryman
05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
What a pretty woodpecker! I agree about the vertical crop and flash, but those are easy fixes. Nice one.

arash_hazeghi
05-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Diane,

I also like the repost with tighter comp but I wouldn't clone the branch, it looks a bit unnatural. I like the BG, it's nice. I only wish for a better HA.

agree about another round of NR on the BG.

Karl Egressy
05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Nice image of this great looking woodpecker, Diane.
Love the poze nad background.
I only have some so so images of this species from Arizona so far.

Diane Miller
05-25-2013, 03:29 PM
We have had a group of them here for years -- a family or tribe of some sort. They're shy of movement but love free food so we've reached an agreement -- I'll be still and shoot them while they check the menu. I'll keep shooting them -- they're reliable, and year-round. That's unfortunately the only woodpecker I've ever seen where we live. People in town report other kinds.

There are several crop possibilities here, I think. And I fixed the noise -- thanks! I'm not good at looking for it. I often do a small amount of Detail Extractor and that brings it out. Easy to mask off the BG after the fact.

Thanks for all the comments! Always like to see what others see.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Cool looking bird with great detail. I am voting for a little tighter as I feel all of the perch is a little overpowering. I wouldn't clone it, just crop a little. Bg looks a little noisy to me.