PDA

View Full Version : Red Tailed Hawk Taking Off - Does This Comp Save the Image?

Loi Nguyen
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
The hawks in my local area like to perch on highway lamp posts to hunt in the open space adjacent to the freeway. It's difficult to approach them on foot. Today, I was able to use the car as a blind and got reasonably close -- too close as i clipped one of the wings when he took off, so decided to crop close. Does this comp save the image?

1DX
500f4 II + 2X III
1/2000
f9
ISO-1600
BLUBB Beanbag from car window

Thank you

Loi

David Salem
05-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi Loi, I like "creative crops" like this. I use them allot to add drama, highlight details and to salvage shots like this one. Nice HA as it is looking right at you. The hanging legs and the clear feet and talons add to a nice salvage title ;) Maybe a touch more contrast.

Jamie Douglas
05-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Nice one Loi, crop works and a boost in contrast might help give this just a touch more punch. Try and get a little more detail out of the head to separate it from the wing.

shane shacaluga
05-24-2013, 02:20 AM
I really like this one! Usually if we fit extended wings in a shot, the rest of the details are usually too small to appreciate fully

There is no problem with that with this image. You seem to be making the most of that 2x convertor ;)

As they mention above, a bit more contrast would make it even better

Thanks for sharing

Shawn Zierman
05-24-2013, 02:37 AM
I think the crop works very well on this image. Great impact with the direct eye contact too.
I think Jamie's suggestion regarding selectively fine tuning details and contrast around the head
to possibly give the appearance of seperation from the wing, is definitely worth investigating...
Sweet shot.

Gabriela Plesea
05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
I absolutely love the crop, and I agree with Shawn on the contrast around the head. Love the talons!

Kind regards

Karl Egressy
05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Looks good the crop works for me.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I like how you place the bird in the frame for the crop but for me I think even tighter on the wings would be belter. I still feel that "clipped the tips" feeling leaving as much wing as you have. Such a shame cause the rest of the bird is awesome. I'd be curious as to some other views and reposts.

Loi Nguyen
05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Everyone, thank you for your feedback. Here is a RP without the increase in shadows, thus more contrast. I used the brush tool to brighten the underwing. Applied NR to the BG and the dark areas of the bird only, but not the head. Also increased Brightness. Please let me know whether the RP is a bit dark or not.

Cheryl, later this weekend I will play with the crop.

Thanks

Loi

Robert Holguin
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Wonderful shot.
I personally like the crop.
Excellent pose with a terrific stare.
Great IQ and repost looks good.
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
05-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Beautiful flight pose with nice wing position,beautiful colors,lights,very nice eye contacts and composition.

Regards,
Satish.