PDA

View Full Version : The End of a Lizard

Girish Prahalad
05-23-2013, 06:53 AM
A Common Kestrel - Male with a lizard tail. He had already consumed the other parts before we found him.
Made with Canon 450D + Sigma 150-500. Beanbag on car window.
Exif : F6.3, ISO 400, SS 1/800 @ 500 mm. Manual / Eval
Levels / Crop / USM & NR on BG

Your feedback is most welcome.

Randy Stout
05-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Girish:

Dramatic shot, tells the story well, nice colors, beautiful kestrel, well exposed.

I might consider a 20% crop of the dirt below, add a bit to the top, and clone out that single strand sticking up in front of the face.

Very neat.

Cheers

Randy

Loi Nguyen
05-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Hi Girish, very nice capture of the action. I'm with Randy on the composition. There is too much it t the bottom and the kestrel is a bit high in the frame. I find the image a bit too bright and the head color is a bit wash out. This species looks almost the same as what we have here as American Kestrel, but lacks the two distinctive black stripes on the head. You have found many interesting birds and put that sigma to very good use!

Girish Prahalad
05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Randy & Loi

Thanks for your feedback. Here is a re-post done as per your suggestions. Is there an improvement?

Loi Nguyen
05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Love it. The RP shows the bird better and there are more details on the head and neck and better contrast on the wing and body. Well done.

Randy Stout
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Girish:

The bird looks sig. better with your adjustments. I am seeing a faint vertical brown band just to the left of the lizard tail, which I don't see in the original.

very nice image, worth the tinkering.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Girish, I really like the light in this, and great that you managed to capture some of the behaviour. Lovely colours on the Kestrel, and the BG compliments him nicely. Your repost does work better, although I would have taken a bit more off the bottom. I too see the vertical band Randy is referring too.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Good suggestions by Randy. the composition in your repost is much better.

great moment you got here. colors looks great...IQ, DOF, BG, light, shooting angle...many things to like in this one. thanks for sharing.

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Fantastic! Repost with Randy's suggestion is just great!

Frank Schauf
05-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Great scene and setting you have here.

Shawn Zierman
05-24-2013, 03:43 AM
I prefer the OP from a space/composition point of view. The cloned out grass stem was not an
issue either imo. The image has many bells and whistles including sharply rendered details, perfect
shooting angle, storytelling/natural history captured....well done.

Robert Holguin
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Terrific shot!!!
You captured a stunning moment.
Very nice light, wonderful background, and nice pov.
Well done.

mohammad reza shahab
05-26-2013, 03:55 AM
great moment,wonderful background and light.