PDA

View Full Version : STONEY IRIS

gary ellwein
05-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Nikon D3s, Nikkor 105, Nik Color Efex Pro High Key, Tonal Contrast and Detail Extractor. C & C appreciated.

gary ellwein
05-23-2013, 06:56 AM
After posting the original, I noted a pale area of bg peeking through in the middle of the flower. This is fixed in the repost.

Cheryl Slechta
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Beautiful composition, Gary and I like the black background. This would look nice with a little Fractalius also:S3:

Anita Bower
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Excellent composition! I may try to copy it. Beautiful colors and dark bg. I think I'd like to see the purple pop a bit more. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Lagasi
05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Very nice composition, love the detail and colors, well done

Nancy Bell
05-24-2013, 05:56 AM
The dramatic flowers of Iris practically demand a close-up and this is great. Wonderful composition with the details and lines of the blossom at the top balancing the main petal with the yellow center. Black bkgd is a good choice to keep the focus entirely on the flower.

gary ellwein
05-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks to all for your kind comments. Cheryl, at your suggestion, I applied a little Fractalius. It certainly does accentuate an edge. I did not want to over due it. Is there a web site or book that explains how Fractalius works and gives one an organized approach to its use. I am primarily at the trial and error stage. I managed to get the original image [ on the right ] and the Fractalius repost [ on the left ] together by accident. My lucky day.

Anita Bower
05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I like the effect of the fractilus. It looks natural but brings out more details. Well done.

Nancy Bell
05-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Fractalius is mostly trial and error. I remember I also wanted some sort of instructions but there are none:e3. I like the extra bit of detail that fractalius adds to the iris.

Andrew McLachlan
05-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi Gary, very nice framing of this Iris blossom and I really do like the subtle fracting you applied at Cheryl's suggestion. Denise Ippolito and I have co-written an eGuide on the Fractalius plug-in, which is in the final proofing stages before publishing :S3:

gary ellwein
05-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Andrew, I look forward to the books release.

Cheryl Slechta
05-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi, Gary, sorry I'm late to respond, but Andrew has answered your questions about where to go to find out about Fractalius. I imagine the ebook will be available soon. I really like the subtle use of Fractalius. I think it enhances the image.:S3:

Kerry Perkins
05-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi Gary, great to see the evolution of this image's final edit. Good catch on the bg peeking through and I see you caught that tiny dot of purple on the left edge also. The image is super, just the right composition for this close presentation. I like the fract work on the final image, well done!