PDA

View Full Version : One Brother

Andre Pretorius
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
<tbody>

He is one of the brothers from the unit of four that operates from Leeudril to Kij-Kij. They have been recorded to take Gemsbok and even Eland. On this occasion there were only three bothers, where the fourth one has disappeared to anyone's guess. We will hopefully see them again in September 2013.

</tbody>
Nikon D3S 600F4
1/1000 @ F5.6
ISO 1600

vishaljadhav
05-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Andre
This is a nice image, the colors look nice and the eyes are the key here they are lovely and keeps me at this image.

I wonder if you would have used a higher aperture than 5.6 you may have got more of the animal covered in the DOF or if it was too close it wont help

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi Andre- I really like the low pov, the relaxed pose of the cheetah and the comp. Your image does not have an embedded color profile so there is a shift between what is seen in PS and on the web. The colors are better in PS. Follow the sticky at the top of the forum on saving for web but note that BPN has increased the image and file size permitted. Once you get the color profile sorted I might open the midtones just slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
05-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi Rachel, have been convering to profile S-RGB since Steve mentioned it. Do you convert the image Before resizing or after, IMHO it does not matter, but CS is still new to me. How does one see on a image posted what the profile is? Excuse my ignorance:eek3:

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi Andre - when I went to save your file it said that it was a png file rather than a jpeg. So when I opened it in PS, it said that png files do not support embedded color profiles and allowed me to assign a working profile. When I save for web, I first resize, sharpen and apply my watermark, then I flatten the image, convert to sRGB from the drop down menu and finally "save for web." I found that converting from the drop down menu even though I have the convert box checked in the save for web just ensures that the color profile is embedded.

I hope this helps.

Rachel

Andre Pretorius
05-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Thank you Rachel. I went back to Tiff, created a curves adjustment layer and brought the curve in the middle down slightly, is that how "boosting Midtones" is done?
Please look at RP and advise.
Thanks
PS the file was originally saved as JPG, but somehow in the flow, the .jpg extension got lost:2eyes2:.

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi Andre - I'm on my work monitor now which is not calibrated (and not very good) so perhaps someone else can chime in. Otherwise, I'll have a look tonight. I had suggested opening the midtones and meant to do so in levels by moving the middle slider to the left a bit (perhaps 1.10).

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Andre - it's still a png file with no embedded profile. Make sure when you save for web that you do so as a jpg. If you are using PS there's a pull down in the upper right corner for file type.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi Andre, I don't think you have updated any of the images, but just downloaded the OP and it appears to have an sRGB profile and a JPG format????

I quite like the relaxed pose, but feel there may have been a better POV if you had moved to the right and saved his modesty, perhaps not the best angle to display such an athlete :bg3: I don't feel the BKG is too distracting, however this is the habitat they live & work in so that's life. The gazing posture and feel splayed out indicates a very cool & content animal and one that is happy with your presence. Perhaps a sign that using long lenses does help in not harassing the subject? I think the DOF is fine and enough DOF to keep some parts soft!!!! If this is almost FF then I'm surprised about the level of detail within the face, there doesn't seem to be much form and the blacks are quite heavy offering a very 'contrasty' feel. Just check that there isn't too much Contrast or you have pushed the clarity slider too much. Overall colour looks good, did you do any modification to the eyes?

TFS
Steve

Andre Pretorius
05-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you Steve. Send a PM to Morkel to help this morning with the Jpg-issue, he is on his way to Etosha,packing etc. I normally concentrate on the eyes & face , check corners of viewfinder to check for amputating feet,tail etc; didn't pay much attention to the crown jewels on this occasion, SORRY?:Whoa!:Did blur @100% at far BG, then less and less till in focal plane. The light was BAD( see ISO), working on new support system to keep that 6kg of lens STILL, found that images faster than 1/2500 are sharper. Did not play with eyes, he would bite me?Saw the reflection in RAW image- I did fire the SB 900 as fill flash on different images, not on this one. Did run curves layer on RP and pull curved down in centre, is that correct?

Here is RAW image from Bridge:

Steve Kaluski
05-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi Andre, sometimes the .jpg isn't attached for whatever reason and in theory when you upload the image it will flag this up, so unsure why you had issues, guess you just need to double check. :w3

Perhaps with images like this we should just apply a pixelated area like they do on TV, LOL no worries. Have you see the Eagle system? Re Curves it's how you have it set up, I would still check the RAW re the black, but the RP looks like it need some USM, the face/eyes are soft. Happy to look at the RAW if you want to send it via DROPBOX and can then add more feedback, but you have two days before I to head for the sun too. :Whoa!:

Anette Mossbacher
05-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Andre,

very nice image and pose of the runner in Africa :bg3:
I see work in progress above. Not much to add for me than. Happy working on it :w3

Ciao
Anette

Andre Pretorius
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone

Had a hectic week,sorry I get back only now. Did complete rework from LR3. Used steve's suggestions, but Basic menu lack "whites" as was present in Steve's screen grab(maybe you are using LR4?)
In LR3- exp -35/blacks +3/Clarity +10; Tone curve- lights +29.
CS6- High pass filter with mask as per Jack Faller, NR on BG with blur tool, removed blue cast from eyes, resized and converted to S-RGB, sharpened Perold action @720px, saved for web.:2eyes2: