PDA

View Full Version : Big Glass Backpack

StephenNovember
05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
This is my first post as I just joined the Forum.

I pre-ordered the Canon 200-400mm f/4 1.4X lens and now am trying to diecide how to carry it. I have been using an F-Stop Loka but it probably will not fit in the Loka, definitely not if I want a body attached.

Most of the trips I take I am restricted to one "daypack" (backpack) and one duffle bag, so whatever bag My camera gear goes into as a carry-on on the airplane will also be the bag that I am going to shoot out of during the tour. While I do not fly with a body attached to a lens, since I am also going to shoot out of the bag I want it big enough to hold the lens with body attached (hood reversed). That way I am ready to shoot. I carry two bodies and have them both set up to go.

The 200-400mm is about the same size as the 500mm f/4 for reference.

The F-Stop bags are great for travel but a little awkward to shoot out of. I would have to go to an F-Stop Tilopa for my intentions to work.

Does anyone with Big Glass use the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L? It appears to be a bag that will work for flying and also for shooting as it advertises holding a 500mm with body attached and I like the butterfly flap concept so you can only open half the bag to get something out.

What other backpacks are people using with success. Thanks for all your help.

Ian Cassell
05-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi Stephen. I recently went through this and you might want to look at this link:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/109774-Backpack-selection?highlight=

I wound up getting a used mint-condition Lowepro Flipside 500AW a couple of weeks ago and, so far, am very happy with it. It fits my Canon 7D with mounted 1.4x and 500/f4 in addition to a couple of other lenses including my 400/5.6. I don't think it would fit a mounted 1.4x and pro-body. It seems well built and well cushioned and it is comfortable.

I looked at the GuraGear, but it was very pricey and that was definitely a factor in my decision.

I haven't flown with it yet, but get my chance this coming weekend.

BTW, congrats on what appears to be a beautiful piece of new glass!

Also -- Here's a very warm welcome to BPN. I look forward to seeing your images.

Loi Nguyen
05-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Stephen, welcome to BPN! I too use a Lowepro Flipside 500AW bag and I carry it with the 1DX+500f4 II attached. It's a tight fit, but it does fit. Cannot attach a 1.4X. I have flown US domestic and regional aircraft and never have to check it. Loi

StephenNovember
05-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Ian and Loi,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I owned a Lowepro Flipside 400AW a couple of years ago and when it got full, I found the harness uncomfortable. I assume the harness on the 500AW is the same or similar. I switched, at that time, to an F-Stop Loka which has a superior harness plus an internal frame which let me carry a lot more than my Flipside in comfort. The other thing that I did not like about the Flipside, and the F-Stop also, is that I found it difficult to get my gear out if I was in a crowded Land Rover or other tour vehicle.

I was leaning towards the Gura Gear Bataflae because of the independently opening left-right compartments. I thought they would be easier to manage in a vehicle. I don't know anything about the harness other than someone on anoter forum posted that his wife had 32# in her bag and it was comfortable. That's quite the load. I would also lose the security of the back opening of the bag vice the front opening of the Gura Gear. Gura Gear are expensive but I would try7 to get a used one. There are some demo units online that are like $100 off which makes them even cheaper than the F-Stop bag I have.

So my dilemma continues.........

Jules Gobeil
05-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Have you looked at the Think Tank backpacks for big glass ?
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks/glass-taxi-backpacks.aspx

Pete Woods
05-24-2013, 06:24 AM
I use this for my 1Dx with EF500 attached

http://store.lowepro.com/lens-trekker-600-aw-ii

StephenNovember
05-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Jules and Pete,
Thanks for the suggestions. I finally settled on the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L as I was able to get a demo unit for over $100 lower than the going price. Hopefully, that will satisfy my wants. Now I just have to hold my patience waiting for the lens to show up!

Dperkell
07-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Just bought the Tamarac back pack. It holds the 600mm with my D4 or D3s attached and is fully padded and secure. Love it!