PDA

View Full Version : Sunsets on Patea...

Don Railton
05-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Hi Guys, This is an image overlooking my home town in new Zealand.. I played rugby on the flat paddocks top LH side and spent countless hours fishing in the river, years climbing the mountain... All the memories are clouding my judgement on this image, so feel free to tell me what you think... 1D4 + 70 to 200 F4 IS at 70mm. Tripod. 1/400 sec at F4.5 (what was I thinking...?), ISO 250. DON

Dave Mills
05-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi Don, Nice warm light along with good placement of the mountain and the river. I might have given the image a bit more room on the bottom and a bit off the left...

Don Railton
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Hmm.. that interesting Dave, and thank you very much for commenting... I cropped from the right and the bottom to put the mountain in the right third and to reduce the foreground greenery that's just apparent under my name.. But I think I see where you are going, more of a vertical format... Not in a position to post full frame right now (at work) but will look again tonight at your suggestions.. I also did not resharpen after downsizing and that is apparent to me..

DON

Jerry van Dijk
05-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Hi Don, this looks like a lovely scene and the light is gorgeous. Compositionwise, I'd go the other way and go for a pano-crop, cropping out the road in the bottom of the frame. It is distracting me from the rest of the scene. I'd crop from the bottom to the place where the brownish bushes along the road intersect with the brighter green OOF leaves in the FG at the right hand side of the frame.

Rachel Hollander
05-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Don - nice light and overall scene. I agree with Jerry, I'd crop from the bottom to remove the road, backwards sign and near riverbed. Crop just below the hill on the rhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
05-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi Don, very nice light and looks like a lovely place to grow-up and do all the those things. I am in agreement with Jerry on the crop from the bottom and I think I might be tempted to take smidge off the top as well.

Steve Kaluski
05-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Don, I like the composition and overall colours, but personally taming a few areas would push this to the next level and if you use LR, or ACR you can do this easily. I'm still very much a novice in this field and respect hugely what Dave, Andrew, Rachel and Jerry have said, but here is my 2 cents FWIW. :S3:

Keeping as presented I would:
- Tone down the brighter parts of the grass and road hillside at the foot and RH edge and darken the exposure from the foot to where there is a line across the water
- Bring up some Mid tone contrast & curves to add some depth to the centre section of trees
- Add an ND filter to the top third

By doing so I think it then gives a layering effect which then gives some depth/contrast.

TFS
Steve

Don Railton
05-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Jerry, Rachel and Andrew... Thank you very much for commenting and I too like your crop suggestion. This crop make the river a nice lead into the image and I like the Pano format in about a 3:1 ratio.. Should work for this. Steve, your comments are also very much appreciated but a little more work to implement, however you have (as always) provided a detailed alternative which I will now look at... What a pity we are all scattered over the world... It would be nice for us all to sit and have a cup of coffee together some day... Regards to you all, DON

Steve Kaluski
05-26-2013, 04:32 AM
What a pity we are all scattered over the world... It would be nice for us all to sit and have a cup of coffee together some day

We have an Aunt in Rotorua NZ if that helps, and at some point we need to visit NZ, but friends too in Sydney? :Whoa!: But please, not Starbucks!!!!!!!!

Don Railton
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
We have an Aunt in Rotorua NZ if that helps, and at some point we need to visit NZ, but friends too in Sydney? :Whoa!: But please, not Starbucks!!!!!!!!

I actually Live in Perth, Western Australia currently Steve but I would to look forward to meeting any of the regular BPN members if they came anywhere close... One of my favourite places in NZ is Lake Tarawera which is 10 minutes drive from Rotorua (Rotten rua). And I know a nice coffee shop there...

Don Railton
05-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi Guys. This is the repost that resonates most with me, so much I might make a print of it.. Thanks Jerry and Rachel for this suggestion, I do like the lead the river provides into the image and up around the bend. Some of you might recognise the 'concrete box' on the rivers edge just past the bend from a previous post. DON

Steve Kaluski
05-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Looking good Don, the image I mean. :cheers:

Don Railton
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks Steve..

Morkel Erasmus
06-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Lovely light and scene here Don. The repost takes it to another level.

Anette Mossbacher
06-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Fantastic looking image Don, the RP does it for me. I might would try to tone down a bit more the Highlights on the RHS on the hill. Just my thought and I am sure if it would be mine, I never would see it :bg3:

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette