PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wild Dog

vishaljadhav
05-22-2013, 01:29 AM
This is a wild dog or locally called as the Dhole, sometimes also referred to as the Whistling hunters as these dogs tend to gives calls that are more like whistles and they cannot bark

The guy here was on look out for its pack as it was left behind a few images made when he decided to stop and look back.

5D MIII + Canon 400 f2.8 +2 X TC

1/640 , ISO 1000, F8

Critiques and comments are welcome

Don Railton
05-22-2013, 08:03 AM
WOW...! I love the comp with the dog tucked in the corner and the open space in front. I especially love the eye contact, very intense. I think you have added blur to the BG which I am OK with, but this is been given away somewhat by the fact that the dog and the road immediately behind the dog is sharp, but on the same plane in front of the dog the road is not (ie the RH side) This makes the image look a bit 'fiddled with' IMHO and the blur is patchy here as well. Apart from that this is a stunner for me...DON

Loi Nguyen
05-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Tack sharp image, good light, good colors and very nice BG. Agreed with Don that the blur may be a little bit too much. Great image though.

vishaljadhav
05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
WOW...! I love the comp with the dog tucked in the corner and the open space in front. I especially love the eye contact, very intense. I think you have added blur to the BG which I am OK with, but this is been given away somewhat by the fact that the dog and the road immediately behind the dog is sharp, but on the same plane in front of the dog the road is not (ie the RH side) This makes the image look a bit 'fiddled with' IMHO and the blur is patchy here as well. Apart from that this is a stunner for me...DON

Don
Thanks for the observation appreciate it, there is no blur applied to the BG in here, there was one tree in the light green which was cloned out,
on the fact of the road not having a parallel DOF to the photograph , i am not sure however it looks same in the original, the part thats nearest to the camera is the tail of the dog and the dog stand at and angle and not fully parallel to the sensor ,if you observe the head is ahead in the frame and the full back is turned , hence i see the dof more at and angle , when i made this image from a bean bag i had it tilted and straightened it in post hence loosing bit of the sides .
there were some bright spots on the road that were cloned which are more of the whites that glow , due to cloning them there is a possibility of some patchy work from my side for sure.
thanks again for the feedback

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Vishal, I too like the composition, but am a sucker for the subject to look down the barrel of the lens.

What you might like to consider is dropping the Blue which may 'neutralise' the road, but add a mid tone adjustment to the subject which helps add a bit more form to the body. Is the 2x the MKII or III?

TFS
Steve

vishaljadhav
05-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Vishal, I too like the composition, but am a sucker for the subject to look down the barrel of the lens.

What you might like to consider is dropping the Blue which may 'neutralise' the road, but add a mid tone adjustment to the subject which helps add a bit more form to the body. Is the 2x the MKII or III?

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the input, the TC i use is 2x MK II

here is the repost , i am a bit new to the processing language used so tried to implement what all i could pick up

Appreciate the feedback

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Vishal I think you have grasped the suggestions very well. This is what I was thinking of regarding the road, to pull back the Cyan & Blue and to make the colour a bit more monochromatic, however it may be a little to plain and require the colour you have? If you are using a 2x then when possible, I would sell ASAP and upgrade to the MKIII version, it's a lot better and image quality (IQ) is greater too.

BTW Do you use photoshop, or just canon DPP?

Cheers
Steve

vishaljadhav
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi Vishal I think you have grasped the suggestions very well. This is what I was thinking of regarding the road, to pull back the Cyan & Blue and to make the colour a bit more monochromatic, however it may be a little to plain and require the colour you have? If you are using a 2x then when possible, I would sell ASAP and upgrade to the MKIII version, it's a lot better and image quality (IQ) is greater too.

BTW Do you use photoshop, or just canon DPP?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve
I use DPP and then Photoshop
and yes i am selling off the M II and getting the MIII by next week just got a buyer :S3:

Rachel Hollander
05-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi Vishal - I too like the comp and the look back pose. Nice to see an Indian wild dog. Good suggestions above and you'll get the hang of implementing the suggestions. Steve's last rp does it for me.

TFS,
Rachel

edwardselfe
05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Great image quality, especially since this is with a 2x converter. Fantastic. I wonder if the Dhole could be centred a bit more..... I know the convention is to follow the rules of thirds, but this is such a stunning portrait, perhaps the eyes could be larger in the frame...
Just an idea.
Ed

edwardselfe
05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Sorry - I didn't explain well. What I mean is to crop a little from rhs and top.
Ed

Morkel Erasmus
05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Vishal. Lovely image. I love the dreamy look of the background - that 400 f2.8 surely is a "cream factory" when it comes to bokeh and background blur. :5
I don't mind the road as much as most others do, yet I agree with reducing the blue in the road through selective desaturation.
I wonder if their whistling calls are a lot like the calls of the Cape Hunting Dog...

I wouldn't touch the placement of the dhole here.

vishaljadhav
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Great image quality, especially since this is with a 2x converter. Fantastic. I wonder if the Dhole could be centred a bit more..... I know the convention is to follow the rules of thirds, but this is such a stunning portrait, perhaps the eyes could be larger in the frame...
Just an idea.
Ed
Ed,
The road is what i aimed to be the BG of the image, the current image is 75% of the actual frame , one reason for that was that i couldnt not keep the lens straight and hence lost a bit of frame due to rotation . I tried a bigger in the frame option but i preferred this.
i have one more portrait of the Dhole in some other place clicked last week, will try and process that may work.

Shreyas Mantri
05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Great shot, Vishal, and lovely bokeh here. My vote for the frame as presented here plus Steve's RP. Was this at TATR?
TFS

vishaljadhav
05-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Great shot, Vishal, and lovely bokeh here. My vote for the frame as presented here plus Steve's RP. Was this at TATR?
TFS
Thanks Shreyas,
Yes this is at Tadoba Andhari TIger Reserve (TATR) , no other place to get it on a tar road. :S3: