500mm
Tripod
ISO 1600
f/4.0
1/250
Ambient light

Karen Forderer
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
That's a great photo! I've only seen a couple of these kind of woodpeckers and they were hiding in the trees. Definitely an uncluttered background.

jack williamson
05-21-2013, 09:07 PM
This is the first calling image of a PWP that I have seen. You have a great opportunity with this bird coming to your setup. I am looking forward to more of this bird.

Jack

Marina Scarr
05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Lovely calling pose, BG and perch. There seems to some issues with your bird. There appears to be a color cast but, also, the blacks don't look black at all. The pileated's belly is normally black, and that's not what I am seeing. I will ask Don Lacy if he will take a look at this image for you and give you some PP advice. It may be helpful for you to post your original.

Satish Ranadive
05-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Beautiful image . Very nice backdrop,lights,pose and composition.I have not seen the bird personally,so no comments on colors.

Regards,
Satish.

Dan Brown
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Cool shot! I agree regarding the blacks! This guy should be much blacker. You should easily be able to boost the blacks in ACR or with a levels layer.

Daniel Cadieux
05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
The blacks (and whites) also have a bluish cast to them. Neat pose though, I too have not seen an image of a calling Pileated. Looks like a sculpture on that perch.

Don Lacy
05-22-2013, 09:27 AM
HI Joel, This image had several different color issues I did the best I could with it fixing the green cast in the whites and the blue cast in the blacks I had to use layers and mask to apply the effects locally because nothing I did globally worked. Would like you to post an image without any work done to it just the ACR conversion and if you have it a DPP conversion or you can send them to my email lacydon@ comcast.net even better would be the Raw file if you can as I really do not like my version either and would like to start from the Raw file. Just notice you listed the MK4 as the camera not the 1DX you were asking about in the digital forum are you having issues with both cameras ?

Joel Eade
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
HI Joel, This image had several different color issues I did the best I could with it fixing the green cast in the whites and the blue cast in the blacks I had to use layers and mask to apply the effects locally because nothing I did globally worked. Would like you to post an image without any work done to it just the ACR conversion and if you have it a DPP conversion or you can send them to my email lacydon@ comcast.net even better would be the Raw file if you can as I really do not like my version either and would like to start from the Raw file. Just notice you listed the MK4 as the camera not the 1DX you were asking about in the digital forum are you having issues with both cameras ?

I did use the MKIV on this one, I am beginning to think it's my eyes....I don't know for sure but I appreciate you being willing to help and I will send you the files later today. I don't recall adjusting the color balance on this one but I did add some blacks to the neutrals and the to the blacks using the selective color adjustment.

Joel Eade
05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Here is a re-post using DPP for raw conversion rather than ACR. I also darkened the black plumage with a levels adjustment and Viveza

Daniel Cadieux
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Joel, the blacks on your repost on pane #10 is much, much better. Just scroll between it and your OP and check out the difference. Well done on re-working it! Now, if you wish, you could use the burn tool to darken the line that goes across the eye. Soft brush, midtones, and perhaps 8-10% exposure (repeat a second time if needed).