PDA

View Full Version : Vying for Her Attention

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I like to concentrate on pushing myself and the camera's limits. I have photographed flying butterfly before and was never quite satisfied when I froze them in action.....mostly because they looked fake or you couldn't tell they were flying! I keep experimenting with different techniques but this one is my favorite from my just concluded Florida Workshop.

Captive (butterfly world).

Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f/22 for 1/100 sec. and the twin lights at 1/8 power hand held. Slight crop. I left the BG dark as it started to be a bit distracting as I lightened it. Saved at 80 quality.

Bob Miller
05-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Hey Roman...very nice behavior shot. I love the composition including the red in the LLC. The flying bfly looks good although I wish there was more wing flutter

Allen Sparks
05-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Wonderful capture Roman. Love the butterfly in flight and how it pops from the BG. Amazing how all the butterflies are in focus. Very well done!

Steve Maxson
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Roman. Congrats on getting the sharp image of the butterfly in flight! - and nicely composed, too! Shooting one insect is hard enough, but getting 3 in focus (with one in flight) is a real challenge. I would wish that the heads of the two perched butterflies were a bit sharper (or more distinct) - maybe the white dots against black are playing tricks on my eyes(?) :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
05-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Hey Roman, nice capture...I like the one in flight...it is positioned nicely in the comp.

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Outstanding Roman, this takes a whole lot of skill - well done. I hesitate to comment because I appreciate just how difficult this image must have been. The one thing that I would say is that the point at which the two butterfly heads coincide is a little busy and difficult to discern, but there is not way on earth that could be changed - that is simply how they are captured. A great shot well done.

Gabriela Plesea
05-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Superb image, Roman! Would love to see this printed on canvas:S3:

Kind regards