PDA

View Full Version : American Kestrel - Male

David Salem
05-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Caught this guy last winter at my local wildlife refuge. He flew around me in my truck a few times, then landed close by on these old palm fronds. I like the colors on this adult male.

1DMKIV---700mm---f6.3---ss1/2500---ISO640---HH@ 8:20am---25% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. Appreciated

David

Jim Thomas
05-21-2013, 03:04 AM
beautiful bird! Feather detail looks a bit soft and the oof stuff in loer right could be cleaned up.

Jim

MohsenVahedipour
05-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Nice pose & perfect HA. Lovely colors, as you mentioned.

Karl Egressy
05-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Nice head turn and excellent light, David.

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Colours, head angle, background, exposure all look great. I agree the details look soft (well focused, just soft as posted).

Mike Landwehr
05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
A really gorgeous image, David. The BG colors complement the subject. The side-lighting works well in this instance, with a very nice head angle. I like the perch, though the OOF material in the LR BG does detract a bit.

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Possible tweaks covered.....fantastic pose and angle. Im OK with FG too.

Grace Scalzo
05-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Great look at this beauty. Background is complementary. I think I'd prefer a bit more of a true vertical crop, and could see a bit trimmed from the left.

Satish Ranadive
05-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Magnificent image of handsome bird, David.
I like the colors,pose,lights and nice details.

Regards,
Satish.

David Salem
05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone, appreciated.
When I looked at this last night I thought it looked good but some of the feathers look soft. As Daniel stated, its focused well just looks soft in spots. I think some of the feathers are soft looking in reality I re-posted with some more sharpening and I cropped as a vertical as suggested by Grace. I thought about a vert but due its tail position thought it would looked cramped up front. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

dankearl
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I was going to mention the crop and now saw the repost.
Fixed it all, nice work on a very nice subject.

Bill Dix
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Light and colors are simply beautiful. The repost addressed the sharpness issue for me. I might have been tempted to leave some or all of the OP room up front, and add a little canvas on top to make it more vertical.

Diane Miller
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Beautiful capture! Wonderful to get so close to one of these guys! I always have trouble deciding how to crop an image with this composition. I guess it's often 50-50, but I do like the re-post.

I couldn't complain about sharpness here, but for my images, there is a Murphy's Law Corollary that says the eyes are never as sharp as they should be, even when details both in front and behind are sharp. Not saying I see that here, just commiserating about what can look like variable sharpness.

Loi Nguyen
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
David, a gorgeous looking bird in good light and BG. Not sure where your focus point was, but you must be very close to him, thus I wonder if DOF may be the reason for some softness in the feathers. But overall looks good me, the eye looks sharp and there is a catch light. The RP is a bit tight to me. Would love to see the full frame version. Loi

Lyle Gruby
05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Love the re-post. BG is just great.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-21-2013, 04:44 PM
I am with Bill here on the crop suggestion. the repost has too little room in the front of the bird, IMO.

Loved this shot...the eye level shooting angle, light and colors...terrific.

gail bisson
05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
What a wonderful close-up shot.
Lovely light and head turn.
I would keep the OP and add more canvas up top. The repost is too tight for my taste,
gail

David Salem
05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the input and help. Greatly appreciated.
I compose this shot the way I did because of the pose he was in. I also thought the vertical was too tight in the front.
I like the idea of adding to the top though.
Loi, I think you're right, I was pretty darn close to this guy and only had a second or two to snap of a couple shots.
Due to being that close there is very little depth of field.
Thanks again.

Karen Forderer
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Gorgeous photo of a beautiful bird. Love it.

Stu Bowie
05-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi David, super pose and HA, and I do like the colours on him. Comp wise, Im not sure if you have any more space below, but I would still the vertical route, but not so tight on the left as in your repost, and add a bit to the bottom.

Robert Holguin
05-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Terrific shot.
Great pose, wonderful background and light.
I personally like the OP best the repost is to tight for my liking.
Well done.

David Salem
05-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, appreciated.