PDA

View Full Version : King of the Hill

Russell Johnson
05-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Or at least a termite mound in the Kwando Concession.

1d Mark Iv
500mm
1/1250 @F6.3
ISO400

PP wise, after my last post, I tried to push the color depth in the mid tones WDYT?

Andre Pretorius
05-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Russel, in my ignorance I tried to find a crit on your image of this magnificent boy, CAN NOT. Image very crisp, comp perfect, love angle, exposure too a tee, BG fairly smooth and not letting eye wonder, stunning pose and all the other techs what I do not know too much about-Stunning!!!!!

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi Russell, glad you pushed things, looks good, but will take a better look later on 'Whopper' :w3

Like the composition and POV. My only observation would be to perhaps ease off on the blacks on the nose & RHS of the gums, just looks a bit heavy? Love the catchlight in the eyes and tonal depth. One cool Lion image, very Aslan!

TFS
Steve

Joe Senzatimore
05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I agree with Steve's observations , but still love this one. Very "Majestic" feel to it.

Russell Johnson
05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments, have actually tweaked the colour a little further - Will address the blacks when I have a bit more time Mr K! :) Though could be my tired eyes playing tricks.

Rachel Hollander
05-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Russell - Fantastic pose and comp. I really like the inclusion of the tail. I prefer the color in your OP. There is a very slight blue cast coming through in the ground by the hind foot/leg but it comes through even more in the rp. Good point by Steve about the blacks. Definitely worth tweaking this one.

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Magnificent image of a magnificent beast! The repost is an improvement, if that's possible.

My only nit would be that you might try the old portrait photographer's trick of whitening the teeth.....:w3 (No, really, that wasn't serious.)

Loi Nguyen
05-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Russell, great image of a king! Love the golden light hitting the king's face in the OP. I find the RP a bit cold. The teeth and claws are great.

dankearl
05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
No critique from me.
Excellent IQ and DOF.
Terrific image.

Anette Mossbacher
05-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Hi Russell, excellent image of Aslan :bg3:
I like your OP, the RP has a blue cast coming through. Somehow the "cut" between the hill and BG on the left side of the lion looks like cut with a Japanese cooking knife. Very clean. But there is not much you can do about it.
Very nicely done.

Ciao
Anette

Brendon Cremer
05-21-2013, 08:36 AM
A very nice image Russell great POV, lovely detail and nice expression. For me the OP has a better colour than the RP, the RP is a little too cool and has a slight blue cast throughout. Agree with Steve re the blacks being a tad heavyin the OP and even more so in the RP.

Morkel Erasmus
05-21-2013, 02:42 PM
A lovely setting and pose, in great light here Russel.
I think the ideal colour is somewhere between your OP and RP...as I like the bluer sky in the RP but there's too much blue coming through elsewhere for me.
My first thought was also the blacks on the nose/mouth when I opened it up for the first time yesterday. :5

Russell Johnson
05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks all for your comments.

Will probably end up masking that final color curves adjustment for the sky only, and remove the blue cast through the rest of the image.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Russell, if was me, just open the blacks in the areas I have suggested and leave everything else as per the OP, anything more and I fear you may spoil a superb image.

Russell Johnson
05-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Ya, Steve, also doing that too... :) Thanks for the reminder.

John Ippolito
05-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Superb image as noted by others. The OP is right on in color. Agree with Steve K on the bit of opening the blacks a bit, but what a very beautiful image all around !!

Shreyas Mantri
05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Quite a pose, and the OP works great for me. Can't get enough of these guys :S3:
TFS