PDA

View Full Version : Springtime Snowstorm

Steve Canuel
05-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I've been trying to get shots of these guys during a snowstorm for the last three years. Safety considerations, road closures, sighting availability, and timing never seem to match up to make it happen but I did manage to get this one last month during a passing storm. Will keep trying to get a better one. Wish for a little catch light in the eye but not even a hint of one in the RAW. 7D, 700mm, f6.3, 1/2500s, ISO 640 (could've dropped it lower but was also trying to get some that were running at the time), HH from vehicle, small crop all around.

Rachel Hollander
05-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi Steve - congrats on capturing a shot you've been envisioning. I really like the comp and the sharpness and detail look good, not easy to get in falling snow. If it were mine, I would reduce the blues and cyans a bit and burn the brighter fg areas just slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
05-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Hi Steve,

great image of this good looking animal. I agree with Rachel. Never have seen this animal in nature.

Have great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Steve, one of the nicest images of this species and great to see a different time of year too.

TFS
Steve

Brendon Cremer
05-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Stunning image Steve, well exposed and great detail, definitely a species on the bucket list. I would perhaps play with the crop a little, although i like the space as presented, i also feel there could be a little too much in the FG.

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Steve,
nice one in all terms.
Like the design with detail in snow and shadows.
Main subject stands out nicely .
Just watch the slight halo around the horns.

TFS Andreas

dankearl
05-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Nice winter photo.
I think the FG is Very nice, not too much for me.
It has a lonely feel to it, I think a wider view next time would be nice.
The BG does have a blue caste to it.

Morkel Erasmus
05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Works for me on all fronts, always a good feeling capturing that elusive one you've been chasing after.
Congrats! :5

peter delaney
05-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Simple but elegant portrait.....

Steve Canuel
05-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and the suggestions.