PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Thieves

Andre Pretorius
05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
This is another image from that same morning, the lioness was absent at the time, the thieves moved in...
In the original the Jackals were soft, use same sharpening techniques pick up on forum, did levels,curves and the normal, then did luminance masked layer. Cloned out Jackal head behind carcass; did some "pruning" in front of carcass.
Sharpened complete image again 30,03,0 before saving for web.

Nikon D3S 600F4
1/2000 @ 6,3
ISO 640
0EV

Brendon Cremer
05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Great image and interaction well captured. I like the crop and great light, i think both subjects could do with a little more sharpening. Perhaps a little more contrast through out the image too. Did you blur or drop the clarity on the bg at all as there seems to be a few tell tail signs around the exposed meat of the carcas?

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi Andre,
great action you captured here, with the fighting jackals.
I think it all about the fight at the carcass, so you could have chosen a different composition, because the RHS is good for nothing here, more important the LHS with the carcass.My look of the things.

Not sure about the overall tonality , looks a bit flat ,in the shadow areas of the carcass.have lightened that area.
Colors look very yellow, maybe a different WB, will give a cleaner image, Steve K. should have a solution for this .

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Andre,

very nice image of the two fighting. I agree with Andreas with the yellow-ish in the image as well on the crop. Including more of the carcass would have been better. You might have more of the LHS!!
The detail and eyes are okay for me.

Took it in PS. Did a Curve adjustment for the yellow, but I do not know if you have taken this image at sunrise light/ 6-7pm!
I think that addresses the yellow quite fine. Added a Mid Lumo contrast and Levels at the end.
Cropped and this is what came out. I did not address the highlights at the legs, since now I need to run to pick up my daughter, sorry!

Enjoy your evening

Ciao
Anette

Andre Pretorius
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you Brendon,Andreas and Anette

Attach is image as taken. When I try and capture action images like this my focal point is where the action is happening. When they move I try and just stay on their faces and follow, so does the comp. One has about 100th of second to capture the right moment- I am not skilled enough to change focus point while risking to loose that special moment that is over in a flash. Hind sight is the best sight. Regarding the sharpening-the to jackals looked sharp on my monitor(MAC) and I have resharpened using Philip Perold's action-looks oversharpened. I have noticed in some posts look the subject looks oversharpened, but no one mentions it, do I need new glasses? Thanks again for time and effort- I am eager to learn:bg3:.

Russell Johnson
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Great action at a kill here, Andre. Would have to agree with the other comments in terms of color and sharpness.

Perhaps it is just my eyes, though the focal plane appears to be on the grass behind the left jackal - as the red on the carcass looks reasonably sharp?

Andre Pretorius
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Thank you Russell
Had look at ViewNX-when they were feeding focus was on the left individual's head, when the fight started he moved to left, focus point stayed, which is now the Drie-Doring branch at the second individual's rump,aargh?!

Morkel Erasmus
05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Andre, I'm not sure why you would remove the feeding jackal's head? Adds to the story for me.
Critical sharpness, unfortunately, isn't there and no amount of sharpening in PP will fix that. If you present it at a smaller resolution like 800px it might become less noticeable, but all in all I don't think you should view this as a keeper...though it's certainly a good shot for recalling the sighting. :e3

Sorry if I sound blunt, just calling it as I see it and you know me by now as well.

Tom Rambaut
05-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Original file as captured just not sharp enough to do anything with despite the action. I would probably have cursed and deleted this frame.

Andre Pretorius
05-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Thank you Morkel and Tom.
I am cursing and deleting the file.....:e3