PDA

View Full Version : OWL CAMO

Marina Scarr
05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
This momma Screech Owl came up for a breather. The down feather stuck to her beak confirmed that her eggs had hatched and that she was tending to her brood. I just love the textures and designs of this tree and how well she is able to camouflage herself. I took many photos of her up close but, frankly, preferred this environmental image.

A rehabber called me the night before this tree was to be cut down by the city. She asked me to take images of the tree and cavity so that she could stop the city from cutting down the tree and destroying this owl family. The tree was saved and three screech owl babies later fledged.

Canon 1D4, Canon 100-400L @ 310mm
F5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 800, manual mode
Handheld

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Satish Ranadive
05-18-2013, 09:03 AM
What a wonderful work you have done by saving the tree and nest, Heartiest congratulation, Marina.
Excellent image of owl ,beautifully camouflaged with tree.Agree with you,texture and designs of tree are superb.
I like the expression of owl and great composition too.

Regards,
Satish.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Marina, I love this frame! The texture and surface of the wood is nothing but a work of art by mother nature! The Owl looks real cute right in the middle! Great story as well!

Karl Egressy
05-18-2013, 09:09 AM
It is a very nice image and a great story. I was very hopeful to get images of an Eastern Screech Owl family this year.
On the very day when the city people trimmed the tree branches, she left the cavity and never returned.
Last year they had five babies in that cavity. I'm pretty sure she found an other cavity.

Stu Bowie
05-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Marina, the owl is very well camouflaged, and the feather on the beak takes it up a notch. I do like the surrounding texture of the tree, and somehow wished the tree covered the LHS of the frame too.

Great story, and what a great save.

Diane Miller
05-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Wonderful shot and great that you were able to help save the family!

Jonathan Ashton
05-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I like everything about the image and especially the accompanying narrative, a good outcome!

Miguel Palaviccini
05-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Marina,

Not sure I could imagine a better crop for this environmental shot. Really liking the sliver of green on the left and the texture throughout.

The image is great, but the save is even better!

Miguel

Joel Eade
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Wow....would be almost impossible to find this it is so well hidden. Very beautiful perspective shown here with your choice of composition.

gail bisson
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Marina,
I can't decide what I like better- the story or the picture.
I think this is one of my favorite of yours so far.
Very different and unusual. The textures and lines of the wood are really wonderful.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2013, 01:43 PM
haha very cool Marina!

PhilCook
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
HOOT !.....now this is what bird photography is all about = natural compositions and behavioral interest, well spotted Marina

Robert Holguin
05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Excellent shot!!!
Just love how well she blends in with that tree.
Excellent comp and IQ.
Very well done.

Terrific story too.

Loi Nguyen
05-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Marina, this is a wonderful image and a great ending to what could have turned out o be a tragedy for the owl family. The image design is great, the smaller view on my iPad doesn't do it justice. This image deserve a large print so that one can see the owl clearly. The green BG on the left hand works for me. TFS.

Gabriela Plesea
05-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Dear Marina, this is an amazing story with an image to match! I am at a loss for words, I wish I was first to comment because almost everything has been said! Your beautiful image made me think of the contribution photography can make towards nature and our fragile environment. We are there to observe and record, but sometimes our images can change things, increase awareness. In South Africa we have a huge crisis right now: our beautiful, majestic rhinoceros are being decimated in numbers. We had thousands of them only few years ago, now we fear that in a couple of years there'll be none. Recently I flew in a light aircraft over the local game reserves and the pilot pointed out a recent "crime scene" - a rhino was killed and its horn removed-I took some images and would like to post them to increase awareness - awaiting for permission from the land owners. I wish to be able-just like you-to make a change.
Your photograph has touched me-it is not just a perfect image, it is a contribution to our environment-CONGRATULATIONS!

Bill Dix
05-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Marina. I absolutely loved your earlier close-up images, and I like this one just as much. The textures and comp are lovely, and it really puts the bird in scale and context. Congratulations on helping to save the tree and its inhabitants. (And congratulations are due as well to those that listened to you and didn't just cut it down anyway.)

James Shadle
05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Sweet image!
You have a real talent for photographing "Where's Waldo" owls:w3.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Oooohhh thatīs so sweet of you! glad they didnīt cut the tree and that three little owls fly free in your community! love the feather on the motherīs beak and how well she blends in the place.