PDA

View Full Version : Black Backed Jackal

Anette Mossbacher
05-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Came this Jackal across on my way back in the evening to the camp in Etosha. Was a bit in a hurry, but the light and this lovely chap made me stop right away at another waterhole.
This was around 6pm, far away from the camp I have been camping. I thought, oh well, will pay the fine for coming late to camp!

Copped and straightened, clean a few elephant droppings. LR the normal stuff, pulled a gradient for the BG, PS Levels, lumo adjustments, mid contrast, at the end Levels again for the Jackal itself to bring it out a bit!
Dodge/burn highlights and dark nose, and a "test drive" for the eyes.
Selective sharpening, the eyes got full power / 100%

My questions for this one:
- Is the crop okay or does there need more room?
- Is there more I can do with the eyes to pop?
- Are the details to much or to less?
- Clarity, is this fine or could it be pushed more?

Guess that's it on questions. All suggestions, critics are welcome, as well a bit gelato on the side :bg3:

MKIV
ISO 640
f/9 1/1250
lens 300mm f/2.8 & 2x ext.II

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi Anette, although it's a jackal, he certainly has that look of Wile E Coyote about him, or am I showing my age?

I would lose the water for continuity, but I do like the fact you captured him in mid trot with the legs/paws in motion, face to camera and the alert ears. Perhaps dropping the aperture may have allowed you to then drop the ISO, but easy to say with hindsight? Just watch you don't throw everything into the mix of Post Production.

Crops OK, could try the 16 x 9?
Eyes look a bit bright any more and they will be on stalks, I might just drag them back a bit.
Using the 2xMKII I don't think you will improve things, MKIII certainly
Clarity, are you referring to the overall clarity of the image, or in ACR/LR?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
05-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks so much Steve,

at that time in Etosha I had only the old 2x II. Sold that old one already and bought the newest 2x III :S3:
Thanks so much for your feedback. Will drag the eyes a bit back.
Clarity I am referring to the overall image not ACR/LR. In LR I am very careful using the clarity slider!
In PS I did not much, actually I have about 8 layers not more! Still to much ?

he certainly has that look of Wile E Coyote about him, or am I showing my age?
lolol, the Road runner and the coyote. Loved to watch that when I was young :bg3:, guess with that I am showing my age too :w3

Enjoy your wknd

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
05-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Anette - The crop is fine for me. Nice evening light too. I agree with Steve about the eyes, they look unnatural to me. You get the sense of movement from the shot. I'm guessing you may have applied an extra round of selective sharpening to the head than the body. With an aperture of f9 I would expect the head and body to be equally sharp so would apply it to the body as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
05-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Rachel,

thanks so much for your comment and suggestions.
here a RP. Cleared the water, toned down the eyes a bit, applied sharpening to full body same amount.
WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Anette, what was the WB set to and do you ever use the eyedropper in WB to determine a 50, 50, 50 WB?

Andreas Liedmann
05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Anette,
nice one with the moving jackal , lifted legs are a nice plus.
Light was on your side i think , like the overall tonality and the colors. RP is better i think in terms of the eyes .
Nice details and sharpness on the subject.

I might think about a 16:9 format ?

TFS Andreas

Diane Miller
05-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Yes, much improved by getting rid of what looked like a snow patch behind the guy! I'd crop some from the top... But a gorgeous catch. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Anette Mossbacher
05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Steve,

yes I do use the WB in LR. I usually check first the drop down menu, what comes closest. Than use the eye dropper with a neutral spot.
With this image I used the eye dropper but pulled down the Temp a bit back. Now it is set to Custom. Tint is +15 Temp to 5100.
When I do not get it right in LR for whatever reason, I check than later again with curve in Photoshop. But did not check this image in curve in PS, as the light looks to me as it was in the evenings.

Thanks so much Andreas and Diane for stopping by and your suggestions for cropping. Will do a crop had no time early when I did the RP, sorry for that.

Enjoy the weekend

Cia
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
05-18-2013, 12:23 PM
The pano crop from the Jackal :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks Anette, the dropper can be helpful, just need to check how you have it set up. Think I prefer the original crop, personally I just feel it gives the subject room to breath. :S3:

dankearl
05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
You had some very nice light!
I like the last repost the best, better comp for me.

Brendon Cremer
05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Anette, great image and some good advice offered, i really like the light the paws up in mid trot and the head turned toward you is just great. colours look good to me with some improved sharpness in your RP, i must say i to also thought of a 16:9 crop but now after seeing it i prefer the OP crop with a little more space.

Anette Mossbacher
05-19-2013, 03:55 AM
Hi Steve, Dan & Brendon,

thanks so much for your input & suggestions in this one.
The crop, pano via normal. I tried now several crops/ Pano crop with more space on the top. Left the top and pulled it up from the bottom. Honestly I like this image not cropped.

For me the Jackal needs the space, as Steve already mentioned as well.
I came so often across jackals all over the country in Namibia, had at one campsite my very own Jackal bodyguard sitting 5m away from me in the eve watching me. ( He was not begging for food, as I had no food out at all. )
They roam in Namibia freely, so I really do want to give this chap the freedom! :w3
The ones who cloud not follow me with this, just ignore it, that is fine :S3: ( indeed it is hard to follow women thoughts! )

Thank you very much

Enjoy your weekend

Ciao
Anette

Steve Canuel
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I like this shot. You've captured a nice side view that shows how they got their name, a good look form the subject, and a nicely timed view to get all four legs. Colors and detail are also very nice.

Morkel Erasmus
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Late here, Anette...sorry...:Whoa!:
I like your OP crop for space. Ditto on the eyes there, close to being overdone.
Colour on your last RP looks good, can be tricky balancing colour on these guys when the golden light hits them.