View Full Version : A classic II: wet fly

Horacio Scotti
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for C&C :)

Canon 30D / Tamron 180 / F11 / 0.3 sec / iso 200

Gus Cobos
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Horacio,
I like your image and composition. The details are sharp on your bug. For my taste, I would clone out that virtical white band in the background...:D

Robert O'Toole
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Great image Horacio, the quality of the light and the sharpness is superb. The green and gold colors look fantastic.

The light BG line looks great to me but the big round highlight is distracting somewhat.

Any idea on an fly ID?

John Cooper
05-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Another good one Horacio!! Good exposure, detail and composition. I love the colours in this image and the water droplets. Unfortunate about the light band running behind the subject.

Horacio Scotti
05-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks Gus, Robert and John for your comments. :)

Is really hard to control the BG with the critical DOF and trying to be parallel to the subject. Yes, we can use some BG as a green paper, etc, but this subjects often are very shy and you can't work too close to the insect.

I agree about the big round highlight (I try to fix it) I'm not shure about the white band in the BG... I think cloning this will be too artificial.... I like the detail and green/golden reflections on the fly body. I don't know which kind of fly is this; fly's lenght is about 10 mm.

Sorry my english. :o

Bob Reimer
05-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Actually, I like the white band; it makes the details of the fly stand out. The abdomen would have looked worse against the darker background. It's possible the golds of the abdomen would look muddy against it. I agree that toning down or blending in the bright highlight will help.