PDA

View Full Version : Fetid Adder's Tongue

Diane Miller
05-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Shot last February in a damp redwood forest bottom 70 mi up the coast from San Francisco. It's a focus stack, to get greater DOF for a very small flower.

Canon 5D3, Sigma 180 macro, tripod (of course), and some luck with no moving air. ISO 800, f/11, 1/8 sec. (Could have gone to a smaller aperture but wouldn't have given a lot more DOF and wanted to keep the BG soft.) It was in the shade, too.

PhilCook
05-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Nice job with the photo stack Dianne, beautiful design on this flower....good things in small packages it seems, looks similar to some of our native terrestrial orchid species

Bob Miller
05-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Hi Diane....lovely flower and nicely done stack....I am just starting to use this technique with PS6 .....Curious.....How many photos were in your stack?

Allen Sparks
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi Diane,
The DOF looks good and I like the diagonal comp. I am noticing a good bit of noise in the BG - a round of noise reduction would help here I think. I am also noticing some artifacts around the upper right petal tip - some clean up there would also help the image IMO. Beautiful specimen - TFS.

Allen

Diane Miller
05-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Looking back at the raw files, only 3, at f/11. I would have thought more...

Allen, I do see the artifacts, which I hadn't noticed before. Thanks -- will fix them. Looks like some BG cleanup caught the tip of the petal -- I'm usually more careful.

Steve Maxson
05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Diane. Nice to see you posting here in Macro! A very interesting little flower and a good job with the in-the-field stacking. I like the even lighting, the diagonal comp, and the clean background. Allen already noted the background noise and the artifacts - both of which can be corrected. If you are applying sharpening to the image as a whole, that will often emphasize any background noise - I typically selectively sharpen only the subject to avoid this. Overall, this is very well done and I hope to see more of your images here in Macro!

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey Diane,
Very nice! Some great tweak suggestions above to improve an excellent image!

Diane Miller
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks, guys! I do occasionally dig out the macro lens, and also an IR body (is that out of the box?), so do need to expand my participation here! It's a great place to hang out.

BG does need some NR -- will do on the master file. (I already fixed the cloning artifacts.)

I never sharpen a master file beyond the conservative LR default, but going to JPEG from the master file in LR there is probably some sharpening that I can't control. However, comparing the final JPEG and the master file at the same magnification, I don't think I've ever seen a difference.

I will sometimes do some Structure in Nik Viveza or Detail Extractor in Nik CEP, which brings out noise. And usually I'll mask out the BG for both of those.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Beautiful flower with a killer BKGR. Great job on the focus stacking. A square works well here.

Diane Miller
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Artie (it i may be so familiar)!! Means an extra lot coming from you!

Looking at it here, I'm thinking I should add a little on top.

Arthur Morris
05-22-2013, 05:36 AM
YAW Diane. Artie is fine, artie with a lower case "a" is even better. A smidge added to the top would be fine as it would make the space above and below equal.

Anita Bower
05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Beautiful photograph of a graceful and exotic looking flower. The diagonal is very pleasing. The angle of the flower is great. I love the colors and how they seem to be subtly picked up in the bg. Good job with focus stacking! I'm impressed. Others have pointed out small improvements needed. I would crop from the sides, maybe the right more than the left, to create the square shape. Excellent work!

Diane Miller
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Anita. I went back to the master file and there is more on top, so I included it -- won't bother to repost, but that makes it a square. Could also crop from the sides...

I found some more areas that needed work. A focus stack leaves a blurred area where an element is in front of another one. Was able to repair several of those by careful cloning. Think this was one I never quite finished. Done now -- thanks for all the comments and catches!

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2013, 04:14 AM
I like the image very much indeed the colours and background work very well together. the detail is good but I see some artefact in the upper right flower and possibly on the stem beneath the flower head? I would suggest some noise reduction overall and then a little more on the background.
I like the crop shape, just in case anyone did not realize the image can be seen completely by hitting the F11 key.