PDA

View Full Version : Snake's head fritillary

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Tripod Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro ISO 200 1/80 sec f8
This is one that I managed to get in situ in the back garden, I would have liked to have contained the leaf on the right but it was too long and I could not get it to rest in a more vertical manner. I deliberately left the little piece of gossamer on the flower head, I suspect quite a few folks would not have done. All comments welcome.

Allen Sparks
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Jonathan,
I like the drooping flower - makes for an interesting subject. Nice color too. I like the room you included around the stem and flower. My only nit is that I would clone out the black circle in the URC. well done.

Allen

Steve Maxson
05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Jon. Lovely light and colors to go with good overall sharpness. I like the bit of spider web too. I would agree with Allen about the URC - though I would also remove the bright yellow/green bit in the corner itself - both minor points. Excellent work!

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Very nice Jon and some good suggestions above. Very elegant with a very nice BG!

Arthur Morris
05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I need to be odd man out here. The image and the flower look flat and I am wanting the flower to be more prominent. By moving closer you might have been able to come up with something like this. NIK Tonal Contrast with the Highlight slider moved to 100 plus a Contrast Mask on the flower which was then lightened.....

Anita Bower
05-22-2013, 06:49 PM
A graceful flower. I'd love to have this blooming in my garden. I love that curving leaf above the flower. I like Artie's crop. What was the light like? I ask because the top of the flower seems to have too much light on it. I wonder if a diffuser would have helped even out the light. Nice angle you chose.

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks very much for the comments everyone, as ever always appreciated. I am sorry Grace I cannot recall the lighting conditions but they were probably directional.