PDA

View Full Version : A third House Finch

Diane Miller
05-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Some of the birds that I assume are House Finches have some very lovely gold coloration around the head. The top of the head appears to be brown, though. Some don't have this color -- perhaps the older males do have the color?? If anyone knows, I'm very curious. Need some better bird books and more diligence about online research.

Shot this afternoon. Attracted to a feeder and arranged perch. Canon 5D Mk III, Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS + 1.4X III. ISO 1600, 1/160 sec, f/13. Some nice diffuse light from soft clouds. Cropped from both sides to make a vertical. Basic adjustments in LR only.

arash_hazeghi
05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
very nice pose and colors. Good HA and sharp details. If you setup the perch you can add more interesting elements to it (flowers?) and perhaps taper the end of the perch a bit more so it's not broken abruptly

very nice TFS

christopher galeski
05-17-2013, 03:02 AM
very nice Diane,good pose,nice BG,light and colors,love the BG.

Diane Miller
05-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Going out with pruning shears today in search of other perches, and decorative items. It's been frustrating to find things the right size and shape that don't overpower the birds and that fit in my clamps.

I'm always torn between a perch that extends all the way across the frame or one with a broken end. I'll do some of both.

Stu Bowie
05-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi Diane, you couldnt have captured a better pose than this one, and yes, the angle does show off the colours around the head and chest nicely.

Although Im not clued up with set ups, I do think you have the world at your feet when choosing various perches and surrounding foliage to suit. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Very nice Purple Finch!! (ha ha, just kidding...House it is :t3) . They are known to have some variance in their plumage...some of them being completely orange-ish in colour. I like the vertical comp, details, colours, BG. Not crazy about the blunt broken-off ending to the perch...but I do like the texture of the bark.

Karl Egressy
05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Excellent pose, pattern and colours. Maybe the best so far Diane.