PDA

View Full Version : Sanderling Call

Miguel Palaviccini
05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Taken on my recent trip along the west coast of FL. Really had a great time with the Sanderlings. This one wasn't making any noise while doing this, but he did do it frequently for a short span of time. Not sure what it was all about, just glad to have captured it on my sensor.

Shooting info
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 VR + 1.4x
1/800" | f/9 | ISO 320
On my belly with my DIY frisbeepod

gail bisson
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Love the pose! Interesting how the beak curves/ splays when open. Nice breeding plumage and a very handsome bird indeed.
The light is a bit harsh so I would decrease the brightness a bit.
Tack sharp and great low POV. I like the shells in the FG as well. The hint of blue in LUC really improves the image,
Gail

Jan Wegener
05-16-2013, 06:16 PM
sweet image. Gail noted some good points.

The bird is yawning, they do that frequently, especially after they have preened

Lyle Gruby
05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Glad we got some insight into the activity because I had no idea. Agree with all Gail's points. Detail on the bird is fantastic. Really nice Miguel, keep them coming!

John Chardine
05-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi Miguel- This looks like a stretch but I've also seen this in association with pellet production. The bending of the bill is called rhynchokinesis. Many if not all shorebirds are able to do this and it's seen in other birds too.

Great to see the bird in breeding plumage! Love the low angle and nice plain BG. On my display the brightness looks good.

jack williamson
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Neat behavior, I would have thought it was trying to clear it's throat. Sharp and I think the brightness is fine.

Jack

Satish Ranadive
05-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Magnificent image,Miguel. Love the pose with open beak,beautiful colors,nice details,low shooting angle and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
05-16-2013, 11:50 PM
nice pose and good details, nice low angle. I agree the light was a bit harsh but you handled nicely

christopher galeski
05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
very nice Miguel,its all been said.well done.

Tim King
05-17-2013, 07:09 AM
That's a great photo, Miguel. I love the pose and squinty eyes. Fine job.

rajojomanik
05-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Well done Miguel, great calling pose, love the blur BG and FG.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Very cute looking fella Miguel, you did great getting low, nice sharpness & open beak really adds to this image. Well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
05-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Miguel- This looks like a stretch but I've also seen this in association with pellet production. The bending of the bill is called rhynchokinesis. Many if not all shorebirds are able to do this and it's seen in other birds too.

Great to see the bird in breeding plumage! Love the low angle and nice plain BG. On my display the brightness looks good.

Thanks for all of the info John! He was doing it quite a bit. I wasn't sure if the bending of the bill was something that they could control, but nice to know that it is!

Daniel Cadieux
05-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I too like to see this fella in breeding plumage, and I like the unusual pose! Nice comp too and low angle. Unfortunately the light quality and light angle were not on your side this time around...good behaviour photographed though.

Stu Bowie
05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Miguel, interesting pose, and what ever he was 'trying' to do, he must have been enjoying it, as the eye is slightly closed - a sign of content. :w3 The colours stand out well from the beach BG, and I like the DOF effect below the curlew.

Bill Dix
05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Terrific Sanderling shot in breeding plumage, and what an unusual pose captured. Love the low angle and the oof fg/bg, with just the bird and surrounding shells in focus. I agree that a bit of contrast reduction might be worth trying.

Frank Schauf
05-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Excellent light, details and bg.