iso 3200
f.2,8
1/2000
Canon 1D mark IV
Canon 70/200 f.2,8

What you think about IQ and BG ?

Loi Nguyen
05-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Nice and sharp, good light and exposure. I like the catch light on the bear. Nice BG. Looks like you were awfully close here and down low. Could you say where this image taken? The grass in front of the bear seems a bit over sharpened to me.

Giovanni Frescura
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
In Finland
Yes it is right .
The bear was near ...and then more but I had'nt a wide lens with me...
The hide position is a little under .
Ok for sharpening
Thanks

Gabriela Plesea
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
An extremely vivid image, lovely colours!The subject is perfectly exposed and I love the pose:S3: I would attempt a bit more blurring on the background, if possible. The grass does seem a bit too sharp, but I guess you'll have no problem fixing that:S3: Would love to see more of this bear, surely you have more images of this big guy?

Kind regards

Gabriela

Giovanni Frescura
05-16-2013, 03:56 PM
An extremely vivid image, lovely colours!The subject is perfectly exposed and I love the pose:S3: I would attempt a bit more blurring on the background, if possible. The grass does seem a bit too sharp, but I guess you'll have no problem fixing that:S3: Would love to see more of this bear, surely you have more images of this big guy?

Kind regards

Gabriela

Off course ..I have more ..
Where you live in South Africa.
I love this country..I was here 10 times..

Gabriela Plesea
05-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Giovanni, I looked at your photograph a few times today- this bear image is one of the most interesting I have seen-I just like the pose so much, the angle, the intent, the focus on the subject's face.

Regarding your question, I live in Kwazulu Natal, about three hours' drive (North) from Durban. Hluhluwe is a small village situated near Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve. There are many other smaller reserves in the area, lots of opportunities for photographers. That is, if one has the time...Glad you have visited so many times-so pleased you enjoyed your stay here! Hope you visit again!

Warm regards

Gabriela

Giovanni Frescura
05-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Giovanni, I looked at your photograph a few times today- this bear image is one of the most interesting I have seen-I just like the pose so much, the angle, the intent, the focus on the subject's face.

Regarding your question, I live in Kwazulu Natal, about three hours' drive (North) from Durban. Hluhluwe is a small village situated near Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve. There are many other smaller reserves in the area, lots of opportunities for photographers. That is, if one has the time...Glad you have visited so many times-so pleased you enjoyed your stay here! Hope you visit again!

Warm regards

Gabriela

Thanks for your kindly words..I have some more shoots of this situation and I will saw if better...
This summer I will return again some days in Mtungubwe N.P. and in Kruger..because I will go in Gonarezhou

Brendon Cremer
05-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Such a stunning image. Well exposed with great detail and lovely colours, very nice.

peter delaney
05-17-2013, 04:00 AM
Love it.....

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Very nice exposure and beautiful colours. The bear is a little central for me I think I would recrop and if necessary add canvas to the right. Not too sure about the fur - maybe just a tad over-sharpened but I definitely think the grasses are.

Giovanni Frescura
05-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Very nice exposure and beautiful colours. The bear is a little central for me I think I would recrop and if necessary add canvas to the right. Not too sure about the fur - maybe just a tad over-sharpened but I definitely think the grasses are.

Hello
I made a very little crop ..but to recrop it or crop more...do you think could better give more space to the left or right of the shoot (no of the bear...) ?
Thanks
Gio

Nancy Bell
05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow...I am most impressed with the low POV and the very large, very round head! Lovely subtle and rich colors in the bkgd. Small point, but I would consider reducing the visual impact of the white line on the side of the tree straight behind the bear. Maybe cloning over it with some of the brownish tones of thebkgd colors? Also, is there no danger of the bear falling into the hide?

Anette Mossbacher
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi Giovanni,

your bear looks like a big Teddy Bear, just beautiful. I agree with the grass. You have asked which side to give more room. I took it in PS and tried a bit. I might would take a bit away of the FG and leave more room to the left. Watch both trees on either side. I would include both trees if possible. It gives the bear a nice touch in my eyes :bg3:
Great image

Have a nice eve

Cia
Anette

dankearl
05-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Agree with all the positive comments.
The sharpness and detail is remarkable.
Lovely color...

Giovanni Frescura
05-18-2013, 03:23 AM
This, for example, is a different shoot of the same situation...Is it better ?

Jonathan Ashton
05-18-2013, 05:00 AM
I prefer it, the pose is more engaging and he is less central. I still have some reservations over the grasses especially in the foreground- perhaps just a little bright. It is a pity there is a large tree trunk directly behind the bear - this could easily be cloned and patched, also possibly the stump directly to the left of the bear.

Giovanni Frescura
05-18-2013, 08:54 AM
I prefer it, the pose is more engaging and he is less central. I still have some reservations over the grasses especially in the foreground- perhaps just a little bright. It is a pity there is a large tree trunk directly behind the bear - this could easily be cloned and patched, also possibly the stump directly to the left of the bear.

You say so ?

Jonathan Ashton
05-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes that is better, I suppose even the other tree could be cloned and then in the central area above his back clone in a faint out of focus tree so it does not look contrived.

Morkel Erasmus
05-20-2013, 03:18 AM
I love the colours and soft light here Giovanni. These hides in Finland are high on my bucket-list someday.
I agree in the OP the grass seems oversharpened, but the quality on the bear is great, especially considering the ISO you shot at for the mk4. I do think you can tease more detail from its coat if worked carefully from RAW, and I agree it needs more space on the RHS given the intended direction of the big fella. I would crop from the LHS to have the large upright tree "frame" the left side of the image.

PS: Sadly, forum guidelines allow only for reposts of the same image - I would suggest you post the 2nd image as a new thread for proper critique and enjoyment... :t3