PDA

View Full Version : American Bittern, skulking

Bill Dix
05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
From Magee Marsh last week. This usually secretive fellow didn't seem to mind the hoards of paparazzi jostling for position on the bank. As it is with bitterns, it was tough to get a clean shot; I had to remove a branch across the middle of the frame. Light was also tough -- next time maybe he'll move to the other side of the road so we won't be looking into the light. (Apparently the night before this was taken, he did just that, stopping traffic while he walked across the road.)

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1000, 1/800s @ f/7.1, tripod.

Miguel Palaviccini
05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Bill,

Like you mentioned, not a clean shot. Then again, this is exactly the environment you find them in, so that's OK.

Catching him in the open would be something else!

Miguel

Lyle Gruby
05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a pretty fun bittern to have around! Not a clean shot, but what can you do? This is where they live. I'd settle for seeing one! I would love to see it in light and in the open!

Satish Ranadive
05-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Bill Sir:
Beautiful image of bittern in it's environment, something different than usual pictures.
I like the pose with raised foot and water dripping from it and beak. Love the 3D effect in the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Marina Scarr
05-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Glad you had a chance to photograph this bird. It was obviously a tough shoot. Love the angle of the bird and the clear head and water drop. I am finding the environment of this particular image simply overpowering.

Karl Egressy
05-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Great to have a cooperating one. Love the pose, the water droplet at the tip of the beak, Bill.
I'm glad I was there a week earlier, when there were less people.

Robert Holguin
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Very nice shot.
I really like the pose, especially with the raised foot and the water drop off the beak.
I don't mind the habitat.
Well done.

Bill Dix
05-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Of course, a busy habitat is what these birds thrive in, but when I get a chance I might try to tone down the bg just a bit to see what it looks like.