PDA

View Full Version : Murren to Jungfrau

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Taken from the little 'village' of Murren looking across to the Jungfrau, 'Top of Europe', which is the centre peak. The glacier has slowly been eroded over the years sadly, however on days like this, people quite often paraglide down into the valley.

Thanks for the previous suggestions and feedback on the previous posting much appreciated and will look into a B/W version. :wave:

Steve
Subject: Murren to Jungfrau
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/9 ISO400 -0.33 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi Steve - Nice choice on the comp and portrait orientation here. I like the dof and sharpness throughout. It all works for me and I'm looking forward to the conversion on this one too.

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
05-15-2013, 09:59 AM
A dramatic composition, but it feels dark to me. I realize you don't want to blow out the snow but wonder if shadows can be brought up a little.

Andrew McLachlan
05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Steve, a very nice view of this mountain scene...agree with Rachel that this would also look quite nice in B&W..perhaps making it even more dramatic. For me I am thinking the sky may be just a touch too blue...but that could just be me...nice one!

Don Railton
05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Steve

I like this a lot, although I am a pushover when it comes to mountains... Its a very nice comp and the valley make a nice lead into the image. The sky might be a bit too blue but its just how I like it.

DON

Vivaldo Damilano
05-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I like this a lot Steve, the comp and valley draws the eye in. If anything would crop out a bit more sky:cheers:

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Hi Steve,

great image and comp for that place. I like the leading line of the river going up to the glacier. Sadly that nearly all glaciers are shrinking in Swissyland. Only 2 are growing!! I have been at the Rhone glacier last year August, the very last time before was 20 years before. I was shocked have that one has been shrinking. Really shocking.
Now a question. When you are in the alps and see snow in the shadow, is this blue-ish? :w3
I agree with the shadows to bring them out a bit more.
Harsh light, well the alps are harsh and certainly the light here as well.

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2013, 05:14 AM
Andrew/Don regarding the blue, I can't remember if I was using a CP or not, this may also have contributed to the shadow areas I think, am I correct? I may have also added some via H/S/L?

OK Boys & Girls here is a B/W, not a lover, as tonally the original is very contrasty and the shadow areas are right, so going B/W I'm loosing a bit more detail in there too I feel, but that might be my conversion. Andrew converted via LR as I feel I have a bit more control and ramp up in parts to give a bit more contrast, however that is not via the contrast slider.

Anette take a look next time when you are out as you will be there before me, the snow is not blue as it reflects colours.

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 05:58 AM
My dear Steve, I have checked particular this blue shadow last winter when I was out in the mountains. :bg3:
Had this discussion before with a good friend on that point, due we both weren't quite sure. It is not always a reflection. I think it is a matter of taste. :w3

The B&W conversion looks great. No blue can be found :5 :bg3:

Have a great happy day
Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2013, 06:04 AM
My dear Anette, we can go hunting for some snow in September and check it out, but I might just settle for a nice Gelato, three scoops. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Oh 3 scoops, hope your valet is full of money, you know this is Swissyland !!!!! :w3

Rachel Hollander
05-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Steve - I like both versions but think on this one I prefer the color. Gelato sounds good, especially since we seem to finally be getting the hot weather.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 07:52 AM
valet is full of money

Since I cannot edit anymore my previous comment! The edit button is not there anymore for me. I meant "wallet" and not "valet". :e3
English is not my mother tongue, but I am sure you all have recognized that already :S3:

Don Railton
05-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Anette, your English is beautiful, not perfect, but beautiful..

steve, I too prefer the colour version, and I believe you would have used a CP based on the sky's colour..

DON

Dave Mills
05-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Hi Steve, the blue doesn't bother me but the amount of sky does. I would reduce it by at least a third...

Anette Mossbacher
05-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Thanks so much Don :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Yep, agree with that Dave, thanks for swinging by. :wave:

John Ippolito
05-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi Steve, I also prefer the color version with a bit less sky as mentioned above. Also, as lovely as it is, the gulley/couloir to the right that is in the B&W version pulls my eye in that direction. Another sucker for mountains here - and a former alpine climbing bum. FWIW it is quite common to have these surreal deep blue skies at higher elevations. Very Nice !