PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Taken a while back, not the best composition, would like to have had more room all round, but with a slight rotation and a fixed 500 it has limited the overall shot.

If any of you have seen recently the BBC programme 'The Great Bear Stakeout' then this was taken in the second part of the programme & location, with Brad Josephs as Bear Guide, top guy! The shot was taken in a small gully which allowed me to get low down, lying in fish guts & bear poo, all organic and it washes out, eventually. :bg3: Wished I had the MKIV then or even the 1DX to have got more pixels, however I have no hesitation in going back and is high on the wish list. Light was high & at times harsh, but you have to make the best of what you are given.

Steve
Subject: Grizzly in water (Ursus arctos horribilis)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO400 -0.67 stop compensation

Rachel Hollander
05-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi Steve - I understand your wanting a bit more room all around but there is a certain intimacy feeling from how it is presented. I know you left the flies in though I find the one in the lighter portion of the bg looks a bit like a dust spot. Excellent techs and details as usual. Interesting about the negative comp even with such a dark subject. The light must have been very bright.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
05-15-2013, 10:17 AM
The wonderful detail of the head, eye and nose really captures ones attention! Even though bits of the bkgd are bright, they are small enough and blurred enough so they do not detract. Amazing point of view, fish guts and all!

hirandesilva
05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
The low angle creates the feeling that the viewer is looking straight into the Bear. Visible fine detail of a dark subject makes this image special. Rewarding result for the trouble taken to take the picture.

Hiran

Loi Nguyen
05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Steve, nice and sharp and great details on the bear's face and fur. I can see the sun is high in the sky and with the bear dark fur covering most of the frame, so you went or -2/3 EV compensation. Great exposure. Yes, I wish to have a little more room on the right, but this comp works for me.

Don Railton
05-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi Steve.

Great portrait..! I love the detail in the fur. My only dislike is the proximity of the focused nose to the LHS. The RHS does not bother me so much.

Don

Brendon Cremer
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Lovely image steve, great detail and nice exposure. I dont mind the crop i may try something even tighter possibly just to experiment. Not sure if its flies it may well be but even so i would give some thought to removing them, a couple along the LHS about 10mm in and top right corner.

Anette Mossbacher
05-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi Steve,

great detail. For that I actually do not need any room. Like it very much as it is. bears are on my wish list as well. Maybe I can accomplish that this year, if all goes as it should :S3:

Have a great evening and wknd

Ciao
Anette

dankearl
05-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Steve,
I like the crop, not too tight for me.
Nice details, I think a tad more contrast would make it pop a bit more.

John Ippolito
05-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Steve, you handled the tough light with aplomb, and the texture on what looks like a mid-summer coat, is spot-on. I'm not convinced more contrast would improve. I like it as presented.

I've bumped into Brad a few of times in the field, as well as a couple members of the crew from the GBSO at one location last year. A true class act, and a lot of fun to be around.

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2013, 04:00 AM
Hey John, I am really envious of you, he is one top guide, great knowledge/understand and ALL round nice guy. We used the original crabster the Time Bandit which was great and meant accessing the area was easy. Timing John was around early September, as we celebrated an anniversary in Anchorage.

Thanks guys, yes the flies can go as they have no real merit and only a reminder that they were in biblical numbers and bit like ****. Certainly would handle the image differently now, plus having gained even more knowledge and using more newer kit too. Would really like to organise a trip out there again and to have Brad as the guide. Not cheap, and really a max of 6-8 people, but the experience is awesome which I'm sure John you can testify.

Thanks again guys and have a good weekend.
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I like the low angle and DOF a lot, Steve.
Light well handled.
Wish for a hint more leg on our RHS? Presume with rotation it's FF on that edge?