PDA

View Full Version : San Juan Mountains

Tom Rambaut
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
A photo from my trip to the USA. San Juan Mountains, Colorado.

I pulled over and took this image handheld from the side of the road. NIK conversion. Feel that it needs a bit of contrast through the middle section, visible mountains, only?

1D MK4, 70-300 @ 70, 1/250 @ 8, ISO 800, Manual mode.

Thanks Tom

Don Railton
05-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi Tom

I am going to agree with you... the small trees mid screen don't have a lot of definition and a contrast boost would help I feel, could make the clouds pop a little more as well.. I also think any sharpening done on those trees on the slope will be very sensitive and easily over done..

Nice country..

DON

Rachel Hollander
05-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Hi Tom - I like the layers here. I do agree with your own self-assessment. I am guessing that your FP was on the trees in the fg. I think I would have probably focused on the middle mountains or stopped down some more to have more of the image in sharper focus.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi Tom, this image works quite nicely as a B&W. I agree with Rachel's thought on the FP and stopping down for greater DOF. For the mountain you could play around with Nik's Tonal Contrast or Detail Extractor. I have used them in the past with some success or similarly I have applied contrast masks with good results for this type of situation. Nicely seen!

Tom Rambaut
05-15-2013, 08:18 PM
I have checked the FP and it seems that I had the camera set on all 45 points. So the foreground must have been the main point of focus.

This scene lasted a short period of time as the clouds soon closed in again.

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Hi Tom,

very nice Landscape. I as well agree with the middle part of the little trees.

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I like the mood and feel here, Tom. Conversion suits this nicely.
I agree on it needing some punch in the middle section. I find myself wishing for a little more room at the bottom - do you have it?

Tom Rambaut
05-21-2013, 07:48 PM
I like the mood and feel here, Tom. Conversion suits this nicely.
I agree on it needing some punch in the middle section. I find myself wishing for a little more room at the bottom - do you have it?

Morkel - this is bottom of the frame as presented. I think from memory I was shooting over a field with houses, barns etc in it so went well above those.

James Fuller
05-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Very dramatic atmospheric conditions! The mountains look a little soft to me. I think the composition would be strengthened with more off the trees at the bottom and a little less sky.