PDA

View Full Version : Funny Thing Happened on the Way to f/1.8

Ed Vatza
05-02-2008, 09:32 PM
After reading and re-reading the article in the May issue of Outdoor Photographer on Abstract Flower Images, I set out with my bag full of toys to try my hand at this. Eventually I ended up with my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens with 68mm of Kenko extension tubes on my Rebel XT and with the 430 EX attached with the LumiQuest Softbox, I set out to make some abstract images at f/1.8 to f/2.8. And I did.

But among the images I liked best was this one made at 1/15 sec at f/22; ISO 1600; 0 EV and FEC -1.

John Cooper
05-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Great to see you experimenting with various techniques Ed - I also had a close look at that OP article!!

Your image here would have worked best for me if the point of focus was on part of the stamens rather than the single petal on the right, but keep them coming!!

Ed Vatza
05-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback John. You bring up a good point.

Maybe I have to stop second guessing myself. If you will notice, I originally posted at 10:32pm local time and then edited at 10:38pm local time.

For six minutes, the image embedded was the one now in this post. Then I changed to the one now in the original post. Why? The one now in the first post just seemed more vibrant to me. The petals seem to shimmer and yellow at the base of stamens looks more vibrant. And even at f/22, the edges looked sharper with the focus on the petals rather than the stamens. So in the final analysis, I liked the first better than the second. It may be that they are both flawed and the first just a little less so.

Compare for yourself. Let me know what you think.

Again, thanks.

Addendum: I should have added that as I worked my way around the flower, I found that I liked this particular perspective/angle even though it is not the best for taking advantage of the dof provided by f/22. This particular flower is tiny 1/2" to 3/4" max. But it is still much wider than it is deep. (It is pretty flat.) Straight head on shots were the best for taking advantage of dof but I have many straight head on shots of this flower already. So I was looking for something different. Anyway, I guess if I feel the need to do this much explaining, the image just may not speak for itself well enough.;):)

John Cooper
05-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Yes Ed I prefer the second post with the colourful pink stamens now the centre of interest.
I also like the perspective that you have chosen here - more appealing than a 'head-on' shot.
I would just clean up the image now by cloning out the few black spots. Well done!!

Steve Bein
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
If you had not moved, then take the first one, layered over the second and erase the oof stamens and then flatten the image, Voila, all in focus and no second guessing. this is what I did with the rattlesnake shot I put in wildlife a few days ago. Each of the three images had serious oof areas, but when combined, it worked much better. Try that. The technique was new to me, but worked well.

Robert O'Toole
05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Great subject.
Image would have been very nice without any cropped petals and @ F 1.8 with the plane of focus on one of the Stamen I think.

Robert