PDA

View Full Version : Between Contemplation and Action

Gabriela Plesea
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Image taken in the Kalahari in March 2012, one afternoon after a heavy storm- a very special sighting, with the subject walking through tall golden grass and that blue sky behind him. I still remember that afternoon...my fingers trembling with emotion, looking for the shutter button, eyes searching, framing, composing...Despite going back to the Kalahari again and having had many other sightings, this image is still closest to my heart.

I would appreciate any crits, technical or otherwise-it is my first post on this website. Thank you for viewing.

Gabriela

NIKON D3S
500mm F4
1/1600s
F7.1
ISO 1000

Steve Kaluski
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi Gabriela, it's great to see so many new faces and posting some excellent images, so a big welcome. I have to say when I first saw the image I did a double take, I think this was taken at Polentswa? :bg3:

I very much like the crop, although a sliver more above I think would be good to avoid any clipping of the mane and a fraction more below, so I guess a little more room all round. The rich colours overall make for a striking image and I love the warm tones against the whites of the grassland and deep blue sky. Nice detail and tonal range. Can I ask, have you done any 'blurring/cloning' around and above your name?

Congratulations on posting a cracking opening image and we look forward to seeing more images and your thoughts on others posts too.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Dear Steve,

Thank you for a warm welcome, I must admit I was shy to post even though I did register on this website for some time...I found the quality of images to be quite intimidating and was not sure whether I had any photograph to match:S3: In the end I chose the one that was closest to my heart. To answer your first question, this image was indeed taken at Polentswa. There isn't much of a crop, since this beautiful male came so close to us that I struggled to fit him in...I do have about fifty images or so of him walking towards us (by "us" I mean myself and my partner Andre) but when I decided to process I chose the one where the subject's face was turned towards the lens. Regarding burning/cloning around the name: I did a bit of burning on the grasses before I placed my name on the image, just to bring out the little clumps that stand out. I really loved the little grasses with seeds by the lion's face:S3:, they seemed to give depth to this image, therefore I chose this particular one to work on.

Once again, thank you for viewing and for your kind comments-I truly appreciate it!

Warm regards

Gabriela

Steve Kaluski
05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi Gabriela, never feel shy and always remember. You may think it's a daft question at the time, but we have all been there, but more importantly perhaps you are asking a questions others too have wanted to ask, so ask away, as it's a great way we all can learn from. AHHA, I commented on his posting, hence the link and why I knew the image, therefore you will know Morkel, Brendon and a few other familiar faces that appear on here from time to time. :w3

I really loved the little grasses with seeds by the lion's face:S3:, they seemed to give depth to this image, therefore I chose this particular one to work on.

I agree as it helps give reality, however personally I'm a not so sure about the 'clumps' as I probably would prefer to see more actual grasses & heads, unless I am being unclear about the area I am referring too?

Cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
A BIG welcome here Gabriela...
I see my constant nagging has finally convinced you to join :w3.
You will only benefit from this forum as I have over the years - don't be shy to post images and ask questions and offer your critiques to others...that's how we all grow.

You know I love this - the Kalahari light, the stormy skies, the prime male specimen...wish for a bit more space but I wonder if you have any where he was a bit further away showing more of the environment and the awesome light/weather?

peter delaney
05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Probably one of the best lion portraits I have seen.....

Gabriela Plesea
05-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Steve-thank you--you made me take another look at the RAW image-nope, no blurring and no cloning around the area where I put my name...I guess a few blades of grass moving with the breeze creating that blur effect-which is unfortunate, because this means I cannot fix it. The next few images after this one are even softer in that corner.
Morkel-I thank you as well- I feel I am learning already, just by reading those few comments above-I am thirsty for real feedback and I really appreciate it (even though my heart is racing when I open up to read what you guys have to say-it is a kind of thrill...). At times I believe I am stuck, feel I am going nowhere with my photography...I need this...thanks again!
And Peter-I take this as a compliment-really appreciate your comment, thank you. Will do my best not to disappoint with future posts. Tonight has been very interesting for me, my first post, the feedback, crits, praise, everything.

Warmest regards,

Gabriela

Rachel Hollander
05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Gabriela -Welcome to the Wildlife Forum. An absolutely beautiful first post with excellent techs and IQ. I do hope you'll stick around and continue to post, I have a feeling we can all learn a lot from you as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
05-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Thank you Rachel-you guys made me feel at home already:S3:

edwardselfe
05-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Hi Gabriela,

Love this image. You did really well to capture detail in the subject but not blow out the grass or the sky behind, which has kept that stunning rainy-season steel-blue colour. Love the glow in his eyes, and the golden mane against the blue sky, but my eye keeps being drawn to the bright spot where his chin and left whiskers meet the grass.....perhaps just on my screen, but that area is a little distracting from the main subject, which is beautifully exposed. I think you were right to choose the one with him looking slightly towards you (even if it was a bit tightly cropped) as the second eye is crucial in allowing your viewer to engage with the image.
Nice work.
Ed

Nancy Bell
05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Stunning! I very much like the sharp details of the lion surrounded by the soft colors and blur of the grasses and sky. The in-your-face view puts the lion very close and intimate.

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Absolutely beautiful, I think the details the colours and the exposure are excellent. My only criticism would be that I think the lion is just a tad large in the frame but having said that this is a very impressive image.

Gabriela Plesea
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I thank you all for your input - your critique and comments make a world of difference to me. Jonathan, I could have cloned above the lion but I didn't...Perhaps I should. Meanwhile, I will take a look at the other images of this lion and see what I can do with them. This sighting is so precious to me, I remember every moment spent with this lion, his female and youngsters.

Wishing you all a great week-end,

Gabriela

Anette Mossbacher
05-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Late as usual, welcome to the forum with such an outstanding image. Fantastic.
All is said already.
Please do ask lots, that I can learn more as well :e3

Have a great wknd

Ciao Anette

Steve Canuel
05-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome. A very nice portrait of a handsome subject. Detail is excellent and I really like the split color of the grass and sky.

Gabriela Plesea
05-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Many thanks Anette and Steve, a great week ahead!

Kind regards

Shreyas Mantri
05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Hello Gabriela,
This is an excellent image with striking color combinations! The Kalahari skies looks like a special deal....and top notch details on the lion!

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you Shreyas, much appreciated!

Kind regards,