PDA

View Full Version : Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at nest

Bill Dix
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
At my local lake last week, I noticed that two gnatcatchers were flying back and forth across the trail, and always returning to the same spot. A closer look showed a beautiful nest hidden by the spring foliage. I managed to find a small window through the foliage, and waited. Got many shots of their return visits, with this as my favorite.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1600, 1/500s @ f/7.1, tripod.

vishaljadhav
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Wonderful one, i love the way that nest is built
Good to see the bird holding the prey in the beak

Stu Bowie
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi Bill, captured nicely in the open between all the surrounding foliage, and with him showing off with his meal. That nest looks cozy.

Robert Holguin
05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Very nice shot and find.
Great view of the nest, nice pose, and comp.
Wel done.

Marina Scarr
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
What a super opportunity. These nests look so much like the nests of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, it's amazing, except these are bigger. It was obviously not an easy shoot in terms of light and vegetation, but I think you did a great job with this one. Tells a great story, and I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Grace Scalzo
05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Fantastic image, Bill. You did great with "threading the needle" and finding that window from which to photograph. Looking forward to more!

Bill Dix
05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
What a super opportunity. These nests look so much like the nests of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, it's amazing, except these are bigger. It was obviously not an easy shoot in terms of light and vegetation, but I think you did a great job with this one. Tells a great story, and I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks Marina. I've just returned from a few days at Magee Marsh, to find that the trees in Princeton are fully leafed out. I haven't been back to the nest, but I suspect it is now totally obscured by the foliage.

And BTW, just received my copy of Living Bird in the mail, to find your superb owl image ON THE COVER! Congratulations!

Arthur Morris
05-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Great find and even greater nest. You needed to stay there until it clouded over.... Nicely framed but the shadows kill it for me.

Marina Scarr
05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
And BTW, just received my copy of Living Bird in the mail, to find your superb owl image ON THE COVER! Congratulations!

Thank you for the kind words, Bill! It's much appreciated.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Great find Bill. We found a pair nesting here but today showed no sign of chicks or a sitting adult. Great job getting this thru the greens

jack williamson
05-13-2013, 08:19 PM
A great view of the camo on that nest. I think you did very well with the situation, the bg and surrounding leaves works well, not overly cluttered.

Jim Crosswell
05-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I like the nest, prey and composition. I tried Point Pelee last week and found I had more warblers around the house. I will have to try Magee Marsh next year. The leaves came out in less than a week here is as well. Great find Bill!

Karl Egressy
05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Great find and nice composition, Bill. The nest is amazing. I found them twice in real life; they are as good as a nest can get.

David Salem
05-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Great looking nest and like the food item in the adults mouth. Nice details and exposure. Too bad about the shadows but nice none the less. Well done

Michael Todd
05-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Excellent find and shot! Very good details and I love the nest.

Satish Ranadive
05-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Bill Sir:
Very nice image of nest and bird with food in the beak. I like nest and green foliage, nice details on the bird.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes, I agree about the shadows, but still liked the nest and pose, and didn't come away with any frames that were sans shadow.