PDA

View Full Version : Four Eyes

Steve Canuel
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Created in July 2007, this was only half of the group from this particular nest location. An early evening capture (8:30pm), the filtered light from the setting sun was somewhat yellowish-orange. Can't decide if it helps or hurts this image. 20D, 1-400L @ 400mm, f8, 1/100s, -1/3 EC, ISO 1600, tripod mount, MLU, cable release. Cropped.
Steve

Sid Overbey
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
The light seems fine to me, actually the colors work well with the owls. This is a really nice shot. I am a big fan of owls.

Sid

Dave Phillips
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
this really appeals to me and grabs the attention Steve
"may" be a wee bit soft, but at ISO 1600, this is a sweet image

Gus Cobos
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Now thats a fine looking family, love the capture. This could be called a real "KODAK MOMENT"...:D

Grace Scalzo
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Brought a smile....love that each owl's body showing is a bit different from the others.

Robert Amoruso
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Steve,

This image is working really well on a lot of levels. Colors are fine and it looks sharp to me where it counts. I like the BG green grasses/weeds/etc. as it adds a nice contrast to the tan tones but is not overpowering or distract in my estimation.

The owls all looking right except for that one partially obscured looking at you puts this over the top. Well done. I also like the up and down heights of the birds in the burrow - adds tension and drama to the image as my eye goes up and down following there eyes.

Doug Brown
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
An excellent photo Steve for the all of the reasons outlined above. I think the light actually adds to the overall impact of the photo.

Gayle Clement
05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I love the sharp eyes and the pose of the owls. I like the light. It's a very natural looking late afternoon light.

Raul Quinones
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I like this one a lot, as Robert mentioned I love the "ups and downs".
Clever tittle, I felt partially offended because I wear glasses. ;)

Steve Maxson
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
This is a striking image, Steve. I really like it. The colors, light, and composition are all outstanding.

Andrew McCullough
05-03-2008, 07:34 AM
This one really catches my eye. I like the alternating high/low positions of the birds. The single eye visible on each bird creates a very catchy image. Nice!

Brian Wong
05-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi Steve!

The Ayes! have it ... I agree with all the compliments above!

I really love this image, as my first impression is expecting a pair of eyes for each bird. I then see and realize the excellent moment of exactly one eye per bird ... and then I am drawn in to the smallest and lowest bird in the center ... and then realize a "virtual eye" behind the largest bird looking directly at me ... to finally complete the pair!

A really nice journey ... just awesome! Hard to offer any suggestions ... maybe work on the tiny bright pebble on the right, and maybe slightly cleaner edge top left corner? I really enjoy this one, and will always remember it.

Roman Kurywczak
05-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow Steve!
All the above mentioned stuff & wow! The eye peeking from behind the forward bird make this outstanding!

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
05-03-2008, 01:58 PM
the soft light nomather early in the morning or late in the evening is always a win-win situation :)

Wonderful image! I could wish only for a better heads position ;)

Freddy Franzella
05-03-2008, 04:20 PM
How cool is this!! what a fantastic capture!

Glenda Simmons
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Wonderful image...I love the eye contact from the owl that appears to have spotted you. He looks very mischievious, like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar and is hiding behind Mama's apron! lol

Brutus Ostling
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
It's a very good photo. The only thing which I may think: this fine group portrait would have won even a little bit more if you had gone totally down to the ground, to an even lower level, shooting with the camera and lens directly on the ground. But perhaps that wasn't possible. (The only time I have - without noticing them until it was too late - crawled through a stack of ants I did photographing exactly these Owls. Not one of my most pleasant memories.)

But as a whole: a great image. Maybe, maybe the photo is nearly a little bit too sweet for my taste. But that is nothing else but a very subjective feeeling today, tomorrow I may think something else.