PDA

View Full Version : Smile for the camera

Douglas Bolt
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Canon 1DM2 with 100-400 @370, f8, 1/2000, ISO 800, cropped to 4x5.
Comments welcomed.

doug

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Douglas

I like the tight portrait The harsh light did not helped you but got a good exposure Looks like the focus point is in the bump on forehead and the tip of the nose is a bit soft Might back down on the saturation for the bg !!!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I like the shot. The harsh light is handled well and the shadows do have detail. I would have like to see you use f/16 or more the get the whole head in focus.

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Like the tight view. Good exposure, nice color.. I wish the giraffe had a catchlight in the eyes.... F11 focused on the bridge of the nose may have given you front to back DOF....

Jasper Doest
01-07-2008, 04:49 AM
Nice portriat, although the light is a little bit harsh. Did you take this in Africa or in a zoo? Since you post in here without mentioning it being captive I'd say you did it in the wild....but that is my point....(and not only with your photographs here, but with a lot of wildlife images I see)....

If you're in the wild,....so close to an animal, why would you go for a headshot that could be taken in a local zoo as well? ;)

Douglas Bolt
01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
No, it was taken in South Africa near the Spionkop Dam balancing on my waist so my head and most of my body were hanging out the window of a car. I really wanted a head shot, but I didn't get very close to many giraffe. Too bad I was a stop or so off on the f-stop. At 1/2000 and a slow moving animal, I could have gone up a stop or two, but maybe next time.

And, thanks to all for your comments. I tried some selective sharpining around the nose of the giraffe, which helped some, but it is still OOF. I also did a little selective dodge&burn to tone down the harsh light.