PDA

View Full Version : Fred Meijer Gardens

Gary Esman
05-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello, this shot was taken earlier this spring with a trip to the annual Butterflies are Blooming Exhibit at the Frederick Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids. I had the pleasure to shoot with Randy Stout and Roy Van Loo, Jr., a local wildlife artist in Southwest Michigan. If you are ever in Michigan from March 1st to April 30th, it is well worth the trip. You are not allowing tripods or monopods so everything is handheld. I would wish for a little more DOF on this but do like the shot. Thanks for viewing and please let me know what you think. Thanks, Gary. 7D, 1/80, f/13, iso: five hundred, EF 100-400 with extender at 235. NR on background and cropped for comp. Make it a great day!

Diane Miller
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Great capture! The two together is special and the sharpness and detail is great.

What would you think about burning down the bright area on the right side?

I love the leaf they're sitting on but I'm a little conflicted about the piece of leaf on top -- I think I'd like to see a little more of it.

Gary Esman
05-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks Diane, I feel fine about burning down the right side. I went back to the original, hopes this looks a little better. The leaf or canopy above them should have been seen in camera when taking the shot. Unfortunately I did not capture the whole leaf. :eek3: Another version would be to remove the whole upper leaf. That is one of the things I am working on is see the shot ion the camera instead of waiting for Photoshop. Thanks, Gary.

Diane Miller
05-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Yes, exactly what I had visualized. There is quite enough of the top leaf now, for me.

Interested to see what others think, but you're the one who matters. : >)

Arthur Morris
05-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Wow, what a stunner. The sharpness of the two butterflies is amazing. Did you soften up the background or was it far enough away?

Gary Esman
05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks Artie, the only thing done to the background was a round of noise reduction, it was that far away. Gary.

Steve Maxson
05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Gary. Two beautiful, pristine specimens - and both sharp! I like how the upper leaf helps to frame the image - and both versions work for me - it's a matter of taste. Excellent work!

Gary Esman
05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Steve appreciate that.