PDA

View Full Version : Why do we put our faith in the machinery of photography?

Chris Cooke
05-12-2013, 07:54 AM
I have lost count of the comparisons and opinions whenever a new Camera or lens comes out and very rarely does technique come into the equation.

Over many years in Australia I have had the pleasure of meeting some fantastic but simple photographers and they amaze me to this day.

Why is it that we forget the wonderful techniques employed by our most talented photographers and concentrate only on software and hardware thus leaving the skill whether learned or inherited on the back burner.

Every new and expensive camera is thrust into our faces with all its dazzling features whilst forgetting that the photographer who drives that machine is an artist every bit as good as Michelangelo who did fantastic art with only his brushes, palette and a skill that must have come from a higher being.

I get more pleasure and satisfaction enjoying the work of the many great photographers here whilst not giving a hoot what camera they used, for like most here I realise it matters not the tool but the skill of the apprentice who uses it that creates the superb images that we stare at in awe and wonder how they did it and not what they did it with.

Michael Wayne
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I guess to me it is like anything/everything we do in life...progress...upgrade...we do not always keep the same car/vehicles...we age...move on and progress...we do not live like they did years ago...but some of the way they did things back then are way better than now...like furniture and so on and yet today we have things that are better than they were years ago...due to progression/upgrading. Just part of our culture/life...I guess...not really sure...but a good question to make you think. ;)

Andrew Merwin
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
We believe the ads from the manufacturers that imply that unless we but the latest & greatest product we will be less than the people who do purchase the latest & greatest product. That said, you are right—the best equipment does not make the photographer. The photographers' skill with their equipment makes the photographer.

DickLudwig
05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Because it is much easier to buy the latest and greatest and believe it will make us a better photographer rather then study and learn how to improve our technique and understanding of what makes a good photographer better.

jack williamson
05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I am not a great photographer and don't claim to be, but because of the participation on this site and the feedback from everyone and my nonstop studying of photography I have gotten better, I know I have. Good equipment helps but I have seen photographers on this site who did not have the latest and greatest who were posting outstanding images. With today's awesome cameras anyone can get lucky and take an outstanding image occasionally. Those who produce excellent images time and time again regardless of the equipment get my admiration. Not long ago someone said to me- "That camera sure takes good pictures!" I said "Yeah, but I have to turn it on, it can't do that by itself!"

Doug West
05-14-2013, 12:32 AM
I thought this was a hoot...I was walking around with another 'pro' photographer. She commented that
it's nearly impossible to take a good bird photograph without anything less than 20k in camera equipment.

Which is funny since I'm still using a non-IS 600 from the 1990's.

Doug

Nancy Phillips
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
That encourages me, Doug, because I was thinking about going low-tech (manual focus) and bidding on an old FD supertelephoto. Or, investigating a used long apo refractor (600mm or longer) in the telescope world. Also, training with weights, so I can do the hand-held bit with heavier lenses ;)

I am a novice bird photographer, but get satisfying photos with bought-new equipment for less than 10% of said "pro" photographer's bird kit: 60D and 400mm f/5.6 L non-IS. I dream of the 600mm f/4 L IS II plus 1.4x and 2x TC IIIs. More realistically I dream of the hypothetical 7D2 with better low light high ISO sensor and with 5D3 focusing. The 60D is pretty basic in terms of focusing options - AI servo center point only, back button focus or not according to taste. I learn all that I can learn with the good quality basic kit I have already. I need some basic birding skills, better stalking, better song ID, better sight ID, use of blinds, knowledge of local hot spots for certain species.

John Chardine
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure much can be read into the interest shown by photographers in their equipment. It is quite natural to be interested in your tools, just like a cabinet maker is interested in planes. If you doubt that equipment is important, it's quite sobering to go back to an old image you made with that 10D or D70 and take a look at the noise, dynamic range and colour.

PhilCook
05-19-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm not one for changing gear to keep up with the " new and flashy" ...and some of the very best photogs I know are using the same gear they have used for the past 10 years or so and still regularly produce shots I can only dream of, with minimal editing in PS. A classic case is a close friend of mine, an Irishman of 73 yrs of age who has been photographing wildlife around Australia since he was a young fellow, in particular birds. He has been using not much more than a Nikon D300 + Nikon 80-400 + multiple flash units, the results are often stunning, and he does not give up on a subject until he gets it right...he's pretty much my photographic hero.

Sometimes I look at my older images with perceived lesser gear, and yes better gear has improved the images a bit, but a lot also comes down to getting more skilled and aware of what makes a good shot with the camera, and getting more skilled with PS editing