PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl in Flight

Miguel Palaviccini
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
This one has been on my birding bucket list for quite some time now. It took four trips in three consecutive days to get it, but I am extremely happy that I put in the effort ... and by effort I mean patience, because all I really did was wait, and wait, and wait! This one was taken yesterday at about 7:30 pm in the light of the setting sun. I shot about 70 frames and this was the best one (by far).

Shooting Info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 VR
1/2500 | f/6.3 | ISO 1600

Grace Scalzo
05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Good job staying with this and coming away with a nice image. (Often, my concentration drifts and I miss the action). Love the eyes. I spent much time on the computer today, but could the face (esp the beak area) use a bit more sharpening?

vishaljadhav
05-12-2013, 03:14 AM
Impressive flight pose,
the Green BG makes it good to view , the head turn upwards towards the camera makes it very interesting
Composition works nicely here of placement of the inflight subject in the frame
i too feel the beak may take a bit more sharpening, it may appear so since the eyes of the owls always catch our focus and they are so wonderful here too, i love it as presented

PhilCook
05-12-2013, 03:14 AM
Better than most of my attempts at birds of this size in flight..............like the head on stare, those eyes are magic...but need a tad more sharpening imo. Backdrop is sweet as ........and overall light/exposure is great. The only odd aspect is the foremost wing, it looks somewhat chopped off, but hey.....miracle shots are impossible most of the time

gail bisson
05-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Any decent incoming flight shot of a burrowing owl is a keeper and one to be proud of.
I think the eye and beak need a bit of sharpening.
Great light and clean BG,
Gail

Karl Egressy
05-12-2013, 07:41 AM
The nice terrestial background makes this image for me, Miguel. Nice eye contact and nice position and details of the far wing.

Marina Scarr
05-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Great job on working hard for this shot, Miguel. I still don't have it b/c I seem to always be concentrating on the chicks. I would take a tad off of the right and the sharpening has already been mentioned above. This is one to be proud of, and with good and killer BG.

Gary Esman
05-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Hello, it has been said that bird photography is 90 percent frustration and 10 percent elation. You efforts have paid off. Nice flight pose, like the eye contact, appears sharp and really like the background. Gary.

Frank Schauf
05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Excellent flight pose and sharp details.

Troy Lim
05-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Very nice shot for sure. BO in flight is rare and you got a nice BG here.

Stu Bowie
05-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi Miguel, it takes only one keeper out of 1000's to make any trip worthwhile, and you certainly nailed this one. Great head turn and eye contact, and Im fine with the placement and comp as is. Great BG, and agree, a touch more sharpening as mentioned wont harm the image. Well captured.

Tim King
05-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Whoa!! Incredible. Fine job, Miguel.

Loi Nguyen
05-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Beautiful flight shot, good wing position, nice eyes and HA. Good capture!