PDA

View Full Version : Canada goose landing in the Lily pads -- in color!

Randy Stout
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
I have really been enjoying working in B&W recently, but certainly not every picture lends itself to that medium. This one certainly didn't work for B&W.

D4 600VR f/5.6 1/1600s ISO 1000 hand held, as low as I can go at this location

Post: small crop top and bottom for comp. selective sharpening, cleaned up some debris in water

Advice and comments always appreciated. I felt the number of lily pads was OK, not too cluttered, but open to suggestions.

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
05-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Great comp, really like the sparse lily pads, wing position, open beak, sliding into home, nice background. Yes even Canadian Geese can offer a pleasing image.

Gary.

PhilCook
05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Spectacular Randy, the light and sharpness is superb, I really dont see the Lily pads as being too many at all, very natural and by no means distracting from the main subject...if I was to be picky I'd suggest clone out the 2 or 3 brighter highlights in the backdrop, but they are not overly obvious anyway

Grace Scalzo
05-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice landing pose, and the lilies are a great element. You've inspired me regarding Canada geese...stay tuned....:w3

Miguel Palaviccini
05-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Randy,

Great timing with that wing position and open beak. Number of lily pads is just fine, wouldn't change it at all.

I would take a look at removing some of the brighter spots in the bg. The one above the right wing (our left) is a slight distraction.

Miguel

christopher galeski
05-11-2013, 01:47 AM
nice capture,like the light,sharp and nice detail,good composition.

Satish Ranadive
05-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Randy Sir:
Excellent capture,like the light,sharp and nice detail,flash of water,water with plants and lovely composition.

Regards,
Satish.

mohammad reza shahab
05-11-2013, 04:08 AM
very nice landing pose,Excellent light,sharp and good composition.

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Neat landing pose, and the open bill is a nice bonus. I agree with you that there is just the right amount of lily pads here. I realize it is likely just an illusion due to the alignment of those lily pads, but it feels like the image may need a bit of CCW rotation.

jack williamson
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I like this a lot! The inclusion of the plants is a bonus for sure and the SS stopped the motion just right.

John Ippolito
05-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Superb landing shot, Randy. The open bill, and the touchdown in the lily pads is spectacular. Brighter spots in BG noted. The image has great energy.

Karl Egressy
05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Great action shot, Randy. The strogest part of the image is the composition.

Randy Stout
05-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

Dan -- I was waiting for you to comment on the rotation! I stared at it for quite a while in that regard. Some areas look level, others not, so left it.

Karl - Since I really am interested in composition, I will take you comment as a compliment!

Cheers

Randy