PDA

View Full Version : The Lonesome Stroller

Morkel Erasmus
05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
There seems to be an elephant theme going on here?? :t3

When I was photographing these elephants in the forests of Mana Pools last year, I tried various compositions to place the viewer in the scene and show some context. This is one of them. The light in this place is awesome. I know some might be bugged by the OOF tree, but to me that is the point...creating the feeling of being right there with me, half-hidden from the elephant by a tree...:Whoa!:...but do tell me what YOU think?

I just can't wait to be back in about 7 weeks to introduce other photographers to the "Mana Magic".

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f4.0 | 1/800 SS | ISO-280
Taken on foot (to be done with experienced guides)

Angad Achappa
05-11-2013, 12:58 AM
I think this a very nicely composed image and that tree works just fine. The light is beautiful. Overall a lovely image!

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2013, 03:34 AM
It's all about the light with this series Morkel, beautiful! :cheers:

Be interesting to see what people think of the OOF tree on the LH trim? :S3:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-11-2013, 03:45 AM
It's all about the light with this series Morkel, beautiful! :cheers:

Be interesting to see what people think of the OOF tree on the LH trim? :S3:

TFS
Steve

Light AND setting IMHO, Steve :e3
Looking forward to discussion on the tree...

Rachel Hollander
05-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Hi Morkel - well, I'll start the discussion on the tree. Before reading your intro or any of the other comments my immediate impression was that the oof tree on the left detracts from the image. After reading the comments, I still believe it detracts :S3:. For me it's the jagged edge (looks like it may even be meeting up with a shadow in the back to extend it) that intrudes into the image that is the real problem, if it were a straighter less intrusive trunk oof on the edge, then I don't think I would have the same problem with it.

Now, as to the rest of the image - gorgeous light, nice walking pose and low pov all combine for an excellent image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
05-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Beautiful light, and like the others you've posted from this shoot, just has a great mood/feel. Looking before reading comments, I did notice the tree but it doesn't detract at all for me. The pointed part of the trunk leads right into the horizon line, minimizing its impact. And the branches coming out from behind near the top do the same with the tree tops. One of the first things I thought when looking at this was that I was stepping out from behind the trees to grab a shot of this guy approaching before ducking back for cover as he would pass.

hirandesilva
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi Morkel, Love the color and light coming through. IMHO the elephant looks as if he is walking towards the tree, taking it out would make the viewer imagine that he will continue walking :S3: . Very Nice Image.

Hiran

Jonathan Ashton
05-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh I love this image very atmospheric and evokative. For me the combination of the setting and the light are exceptional, the former almost makes me forget the latter but when I do look at the light it is special.
I did wonder for a moment about takeing a sliver off the base but decided it was OK. I try not to read previous comments but have to confess the one relating to the tree on the left caught my eye no matter how I tried to ignore it. I agree I would (now it is mentioned) eliminate the tree far left completely - I don't think it adds to the image. Apart from that I think the image is superb.

Tom Graham
05-12-2013, 03:29 AM
I would like to see this also at f8, you had the spare ISO to do it.
The OOF tree I'm ok with, but not sure about so much OOF foreground.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
05-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for your varied feedback, folks. I've got some without the tree so won't crop it out in this case. I prefer the OOF tree though.

Tom, f8 wouldn't have given me enough DOF to get the FG and ele sharp. Selective focus here achieved what I had in mind plus it still left the environment discernable.

Tom Graham
05-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Here's what I'm pondering. When is a wildlife image a portrait image and when is it a landscape (animalscape) image?
I'm thinking that in portrait images, whether man or beast, flora or fauna, portrait images like the subject sharp and the background and foreground soft.
But for landscape images the tradition is to have all of the image sharp, no OOF foreground. See Art's recent tulip image - http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/110299-Tulip-scape
No soft foreground there. But, wonder if Art did get low down and take shot with OOF tulips close and in foreground?
So, for this image - I consider it a landscape with an elephant as center of interest. Therefore, the whole image should be sharp. Or at least the foreground to ele sharp and the BG could be a bit soft.
Wonder what our landscape forum folks would say about this? (Other than there are "no rules")
Tom

Jonathan Ashton
05-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Tom I would suggest that flexibility and general image appeal have to be considered. If we always button hole images then they may be doomed to "failure" in any one category. If the image has not been entered into a category for a competition then it doesn't matter in which case beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I understand what you say about the elephant image but the way I view it is by seeing an elephant in very pleasant complimentary surroundings. The light in the background is interesting but it also has the ability to draw my eye to the elephant. For me the background adds and there is a rim around the elephant where the leaves are in focus again this tends to concentrate my eye in the region of the elephant. The soft foreground draws my eye inwards.
I think the tulip is a different cup of tea, the tulip is very brightly coloured and requires more looking at in so far that there are multiple areas within the flower that are attention seeking, the elephant on the other hand tends to require less examination in so far that the mind sees it as a large familiar animal and shape. The tulip may be familiar but there are the petals, the stigmas the pistils and numerous colours and shades.
That's just my view, I respect others may disagree but that's fine by appreciating other's viewpoint it helps to broaden the mind and better still helps in the imaginative creative process - something I am lacking!:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Wonder what our landscape forum folks would say about this?
Tom

Well, then it helps that I'm also Landscape Moderator? :bg3:

I will say this: have you ever shot with a fixed 500mm telephoto, Tom?
Getting everything sharp front to back would require and f-stop higher than I would dare venture when shooting handheld, if it's even possible. Add to the fact that it was fitted to a full frame sensor camera the DOF is even more pronounced. I had a 70-200mm on another camera with which front-to-back focus would have been easier (if I shot at 70mm) but then the elephant would be too small in the scene.

I do view this as an "elephantscape", but I found in Mana that shooting with too small and aperture made the trees and busy forest surroundings compete too much with the subject - hence I went for shots that lift the subject out of the environment a bit but still give ample context to the environment. :cheers:

Let's see what others say...
:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2013, 07:16 AM
A bit unclear where this is now going, but it's a lovely image, great setting and the techs have been thought about with hindsight & knowledge. With you additional love of landscapes too Morkel there may have been a little bit of subconscious coming into play too. :S3:

Just my 2 cents Morkel.

Anette Mossbacher
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Morkel,

great image and I do love your OOf tree. I do the same here and there, because I just do like it that way :w3
I might would do it a bit thinner though, but you have anyway another image without. :bg3:

Love the light and must put this Mana Pools on my list, just not sure when to do that :w3

Ciao
Anette

Tom Graham
05-14-2013, 12:04 AM
"I will say this: have you ever shot with a fixed 500mm telephoto, Tom?"
No, and I never intend to :S3:
You shot at ISO 280 would not say 1200 work on that camera? A Nikon D3s should be great at ISO 1200. If so, you'd go from f4 to f8 (with same shutter). If that f8, you'd have to focus at front of ele to keep the BG a bit soft like you wanted. Or perhaps a little Photoshop to blur BG?
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Well, let's see, Tom...

Using the online DOF calculator for the camera and lens combo I was using...
(http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html)

Subject distance, roughly 50m.

At f4: 2.38m
At f8: 4.76m

I seriously don't think it would have made the difference you want here given the separation between the immediate FG, subject and BG.

Tom Graham
05-14-2013, 03:29 AM
It would make a noticeable difference (f4 and f8). Because the "cone of softness" ( or whatever it's called) is narrower at f8. That is, the out of focus area f8 (at same distance from the focal point) is not as soft and does not soften as "quickly", as at f4. But the FG would still be soft, and might still not be to my liking anyway :S3:.
An alternative would be to use a 300mm which would have more than double the DOF (13meters at f8). Focus a few meters in front of the ele, then crop the image to taste.
Next time ask the ele to please stop walking while you try different settings and lenses :w3
Tom

Gabriela Plesea
05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Magic indeed Morkel, and I cannot wait to get to Mana...the more I look at this image the more I realize that I what like most about it is the light itself, the way it filters through the trees, the atmosphere is creates. You have managed to capture the magic of Mana Pools...The OOF tree has its place in the story, in fact it helps create it, and also gives depth.

Kind regards

Gabriela

Roger Clark
05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Hello Morkel,

I love these kinds of images, more environmental. The backlit works extremely well here. Wonderful wonderful image. I have not read any other comments. I think the image would be stronger by cropping out the OOF bottom and the OOF tree on the left.

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for your comments, guys!