PDA

View Full Version : Leaf skeleton

Steve Maxson
05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
This leaf, and others, were found on the bottom of a pond in Belize. When one of these leaves falls in the pond, snails eat all the green portions leaving the "skeleton" behind. I had my wife hold the leaf while I photographed it. 1D IV, 100mm macro, 1/100, f/16, ISO 200, off-camera 430 EX II provided the backlighting. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Great idea Steve I like the leaf very much, for set ups like this I have a small spring clip that fits onto the tripod head,
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/supports__brackets/novoflex_flower_stalk_holder/8481_p.html
I use it when practicable to place the subject in an ideal spot. No offence intended but I don't think the hands enhance the image but I can see why the image was taken and it is very effectively done.

Norm Dulak
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
The leaf is a very interesting subject, handled very well. I too use a Plamp occasionally but like the use of hands here, because they convey a sense of the scale of the leaf. A nit would be, despite the backlighting, to use an SH or Color Efex Tonal Contrast filter to brighten the shadowed parts of the hand a bit.

Allen Sparks
05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Steve,
Interesting subject - great lighting effectively showing the patterns in the leaf. I'm okay with the hands but a plamp sounds like a good idea for an alternative composition. Very well done.

Allen

Anita Bower
05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
The leaf is gorgeous! Such delicate lines and shapes. The dark bg is perfect. Beautiful light. I'd prefer it without the hands.

Bob Miller
05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Steve...I enjoyed this image! The black bg sets off the detail in the leaf nicely! I vote for no hands but as is ....still very nice!

Arthur Morris
05-13-2013, 04:59 AM
A wonderful image as presented with the dramatic back light and a good exposure on the hands. I would love to see a few versions with the hands too. There are probably dozens of great images in that single leaf.

Steve Maxson
05-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Andrew McLachlan
05-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Steve, this is fabulous...agree with Arthur on the possibilities with this leaf...it would even look great with Fractalius too :S3:

Gabriela Plesea
05-30-2013, 03:31 PM
The patterns on this leaf are just amazing...so is the detail, the black background really works here...I am a novice when it comes to macro, but I so love this image...would like to see another version without the hands-is it possible? The lighting is stunning, would love to see more...

Kind regards