PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Friday

Shreyas Mantri
05-09-2013, 09:45 PM
The Elephant in his boots :S3:

Shot at Klein Namutoni waterhole in Etosha.
This is a last minute decision to post it in monochrome as I can't really make up my mind for the look, so your input is appreciated. Will also post the colored version later in this thread for comparison!

Canon 7D, 300mm II, f/2.8, @ 1/3200s, ISO 160, EC +1/3

Randy Stout
05-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Shreyas:

I think B&W was a very good choice. Accentuates the textures, the contrast between the mud on feet and rest of body tonality.

Sharp.

I like the overall comp, but for personal taste would crop up from the bottom to the top of your sig.

Looking forward to the color version to compare.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Kaluski
05-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi Shyreas, had a chuckle when I saw this, I agree it does look like he is wearing a pair of boots. I think the conversion works well, likewise the comp. I just wonder if you click on the darkest area with the black picker in Curves it just bring up a bit more 'contrast' overall?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
05-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi Shreyas - It does look like boots. I agree with Randy on the crop. Am wondering why you shot at f2.8 rather than going for more dof? You certainly has enough ss and could have stopped down (and also raised the ISO if necessary).

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Nice scene Shreyas, good call on the monochrome.
I agree with Steve, first thought was that it needed a slight boost in contrast. I'm fine with the comp but would like the cropped version as well, could go either way.

hirandesilva
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Hi Shreyas, The light falling on the elephant and contrast of the water mark and outstretched trunk makes this a lovely image. I would also agree to crop some part of the water at the bottom.

Hiran

Anette Mossbacher
05-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Shreyas,

had a giggle when I saw the new model for the next winter boots. I want a pair as well please. :bg3:
I don't mind much about a crop. I like the conversion very much. Just wondered, why not let the els walk on a brighter "model path", due the sun comes from the LHS, towards the light! My first thought was get the BG ground darker, which is in this image brighter and the path the ele uses brighter!! Just a my thought!!!!! :e3
Ciao
Anette

peter delaney
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Nice composition and conversion....

Shreyas Mantri
05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions folks!
Sorry am delayed in my responses.
Here's a "colored" take on the photo. WDYT?

Anette Mossbacher
05-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Hi Shreyas,

the color version looks great as well. The light is beautiful.
When have you been in Etosha ? Was that last October '12 with your family? Because always when I look at your image you look so familiar to me. Like the photographer I have met in Halali and on the roads last October. We met a few times on the roads and gave us hints where what to find!!! :w3 Pointed out the Hyenas ones and a Rhino ! I remeber that, because a dutch photographer asked me all the time as well when he saw me around.
Now I wonder again, thought and now I ask :e3

Ciao
Anette

Shreyas Mantri
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Annett, this was shot on Oct. 11. I was at Halali on Oct. 20th for 2 days. Rings a bell?

Anette Mossbacher
05-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Go out of here Shreyas, you asked me on the road what I have seen and I sent you of to a Hyena. Is it that right ? You also have been in Halali asking in the office for a chalet closer to the pool for your family? I was just asking for a PC I could use!! Was just about lunch time, as far I remember! Yep, I got a PC, the manager there was very helpful :))

Shreyas Mantri
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Go out of here Shreyas, you asked me on the road what I have seen and I sent you of to a Hyena. Is it that right ? You also have been in Halali asking in the office for a chalet closer to the pool for your family? I was just asking for a PC I could use!! Was just about lunch time, as far I remember! Yep, I got a PC, the manager there was very helpful :))

You may be mistaken; I was travelling alone on this stretch. But i do remember something about the Hyena. Will PM you.