PDA

View Full Version : Slalom skiing trumpeter in B&W

Randy Stout
05-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I enjoyed watching this fellow land last weekend. I had to give him style points for his slalom technique. Converted to B&W to simplify the image.

D4 6000VR f/6.3 1/800s ISO 1250 Hand held as low as I can go at this location

Post: B&W conversion in Silver Efex Pro, crop top and bottom for comp. I took the background a bit darker in this one, to highlight the translucent quality of the wings and the splash.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

dankearl
05-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Randy,
I think the B&W makes this harder to see the action than a color version would.
The white splash just dominates the image for me.

gail bisson
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Randy,
Hmmm..I am not sure about this one.
I like the pose( love the foot up) and the action and the splash but am not sure about the B&W conversion. I find that the details in the head/face and eyes are lost. Can you show the color version?
Gail

Randy Stout
05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the input Dan and Gail:

I did not process a color version of the image, but will go back and do one later.

In looking at the raw image, don't think there will be any improvement in head detail, but I will see what I can do.

Dan - I had toned down the splash significantly from the original, but get your point about its brightness.

Cheers

Randy

Dave Chmielewski
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Randy This B&W sure brought back memories from the late "60s and '70. 100 ft rolls of B&W, dark rooms etc. I seem to keep overlooking B&W now. You got me thinking. It was a pleasure to meet you at KBS the morning you took this shot. Thanks for sharing you technical knowledge with a "Newbie". I feel inspired. Hope to be out there tomorrow morning for more practice. Regards Dave C

Robert Holguin
05-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Very nice shot.
Great action captured.
I really love the raised footcand wing position.
To me if the splash was not so bright I think this would have worked.
Well done.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-08-2013, 01:32 AM
A very different image Randy, I like the pose and splash though the splash is a bit bright.

Randy Stout
05-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Thanks again for the input. I went back and did a quick adjustment of the luminosity of the splash.

Let me know what you think of this version.

Cheers

Randy

Faraaz Abdool
05-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Hey Randy - the RP is a great improvement over the original. Shows how much difference something other than the main subject can make! I would adjust the tone curve to darken the water a little and add a little contrast. This is a photo I've always dreamed of getting. Congrats!

Nick Palmieri
05-08-2013, 07:13 AM
I am a sucker for b+w. I like the toned down re-post. Bird images are always a challenge for b+w conversion but I think this was a good choice.

Gary Esman
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I applaud you for trying something different! The re-post rocks. great foot up, nice wing position and comp. Very nice.

Gary.