PDA

View Full Version : Redshank

Simon Wantling
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi all, I took this image fairly early in the day over the weekend and waiting for a couple of hours before it came in close. Although its a cluttered background and not technically ideal I do think its an example of the environment it was in at the time. I wasn't brave enough to clone the dark OOF reed behind it's head so I decided to leave it. I hope other than that, the processing is ok. I actually processed this yesterday but on reflection decided to revisit it and alter the image to add some additional sharpening plus reduce a reddish colour cast. I've also darkened the bright background somewhat. I'd really appreciate your comments. Thanks

7D, 500mm + 1.4X, f5.6, 1/250, ISO400

Christopher Miller
05-07-2013, 06:39 PM
As you say, it's a rather cluttered image which keeps me from liking it a lot, but I think it does still work as an image showing the environment. I would clone out a couple of the OOF reeds that are near the bird's head. I like the pose and sharp details.

Randy Stout
05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Simon:
Good self assessment. I like the pose, and the foreground, though busy is Ok for me. The high contrast of the foliage against the water in the bg makes it more challenging, esp. those areas behind and near the head.

It certainly can be cleaned up, you just have to decide if you like the rest of the image enough to put in the work. I will sometimes work on an image to practice my post processing techs, and even if the final result isn't perfect, I will have learned something.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
05-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Nice bird just starting to molt into breeding plumage. Nice look back head angle. Of course the background reflects the environment that the bird was in at the time; that is always the case. It does not however make either a good photograph or a pleasing background. Overall too dark. I got rid of the offending reed using Denise Ippolito's Cloning on a Layer technique. Lightened the whole thing, sharpened the face and neck with a Contrast Mask, and then lightened the front of the face which was still too dark. All as detailed in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).

I got lucky with a Redshank on Texel, Holland. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/05/05/shy-wader/) for the image and a lesson on subject size.

Simon Wantling
05-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the comments and for the repost. It does look a lot better especially with the stalk cloned out. I will try that technique. I've not heard of sharpening with a contrast mask. What is the technique for this? I always worry about over sharpening.

Faraaz Abdool
05-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Nicely done, the one trouble reed (for me) was the one by the head. Artie's RP shows you what can be done. Although I don't have photoshop yet I've read all about those techniques in Digital Basics. Click the link in Artie's post to get yourself a copy - it's very much worth it.

Arthur Morris
05-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the comments and for the repost. It does look a lot better especially with the stalk cloned out. I will try that technique. I've not heard of sharpening with a contrast mask. What is the technique for this? I always worry about over sharpening.

First off, thanks Faraaz. Simon, YAW. Cloning on a Layer with a Layer Mask added is entirely a different and much more effective technique than simply using the Clone Stamp. A contrast mask is a type of sharpening that is not actual sharpening; Unsharp Mask usually at 15/65/0 only on selected areas of the bird (as I did with your image). Used the Quick Selection Tool. As Faraaz said, it is all in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) in great detail plus tons more including my complete Digital Workflow, all of my time-saving Keyboard Shortcuts, Quick Masking, Layer Masking, and NIK basics, dozens of great Photoshop tips, and tons more.

Daniel Cadieux
05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
The subject itself looks good a well detailed. The FG is mostly OK, but that was bad luck having one leg completely hidden behind that grass blade. The BG is not as pleasing, but that is what you had to deal with.

Simon Wantling
05-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and constructive suggestions. It's really appreciated and it's great to have your feedback.

I've taken the suggestions and employed it on another image from the set - contrast masks and layer cloning technique., so I hope this image looks acceptable. I've also pushed the USM sharpening a bit further as it seems I probably wasn't doing enough so I hope I haven't pushed it to far. Basically my workflow was, RAW processing in Lightroom 4, dropped out into photoshop elements, Levels check, USM 15/60/0 which made a huge difference as mentioned here, then further USM 120/0.2/0 to bring out some finer detail. I also dropped the reds down a bit as I didn't like that. Anyway, I hope this looks ok and thanks again.