PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Blushing Bittern.

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
My first images of the Amercian Bittern! I hear them alot, and see them often enough too, but never close enough for redeeming stuff (except for the excitement of seeing this cool species...the birder in me!). I've tried calling them in the past, but they would not approach close enough for anything but documentary type images, which for "common" birds do not interest me much. I put on the audio for a few minutes and only hearing a responding individual way out (at least a few hundred yards out) I stopped it thinking it was yet again not working. I slowly get up to stretch my legs and two of them flush from about 30 feet out!! I reset the audio and slowly they came back, both of them. I just turned it right back off and enjoyed their presence for a while. A fun encounter in the spring-time marsh!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4 TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/5.6, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, cropped bottom and left, two long dark lines in the BG (between the bill and right edge) lightened via low-opacity clone stamp.

stuart wanuck
05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
They are surely illusive birds nice

jack williamson
05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
One of the finest and most unusual Bittern images I have seen. Nicely exposed, sharp and that BG is awesome.

Melissa Groo
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm all for habitat shots, but usually bittern images look just too cluttered to be aesthetically pleasing. This is a rare image of one. Just a gorgeous pose, soft background, wonderful colors, perfect comp. One of the best I've seen too.

John Ippolito
05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Elegant pose, and the stunning BG is great support for the bittern. I like the whole color pallette. Beautiful image, Daniel.

David Salem
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I agree with Melissa, most Bittern shots, including mine, are cluttered in heavy reeds and makes for a jumbled looking shot. You were very fortunate, probably from being patient, to get this one far enough in front of the reeds to make for a nice bokeh.
Great light and colors and I like the pose and comp too. Nice work Daniel!

Vivaldo Damilano
05-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Excellent image of this shy bird, love the pose and beautiful BG, nicely done Daniel.

PhilCook
05-07-2013, 03:08 AM
The streaky backdrop seems to work in nicely with the Bitterns outstretched neck, looking very nice.....never had the pleasure of seeing one yet sadly

mohammad reza shahab
05-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Beautiful light and colors.very nice BG & pose.

Frank Schauf
05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Very nice pose and colors.

vishaljadhav
05-07-2013, 01:58 PM
LOvely , its always special to see a bittern image with a full neck stretch, lovely one here
the details are wonderful , i love the design on the neck
i like the way you included some grass blades in the frame gives a sense of level.
Super image

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
This really worked, Dan. what a shot. I loved the comp. and the eye contact. awesome BG. must have been thrilling.

Bonnie Block
05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Beautiful image, Dan. GREAT background, and I love its eye contact. Congrats!

dankearl
05-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Amazing, the uncluttered BG here, a first for the species I think.
Congrats, terrific photo, those of us who see these regularly, but never like this,
Are just envious!

Robert Holguin
05-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Wow!!!
Excellent shot.
Wonderful background, excellent pose, and great details.
Very well done.

christopher galeski
05-08-2013, 02:30 AM
very nice capture,great BG,good pose,sharp with nice detail.